What are you reading?

Nice!
I’ve read all the Dune books and cannot wait for the new movie.

I’m about to start the Foundation Asimov volumes now in preparation for the upcoming AppleTV series later this year, have never read Asimov so not sure what to expect.

Iain M Banks was responsible for getting me into the genre originally and still my favourite author.

I had my doubts for YEARS about reading the works that Frank Herbert were not part of. But I have to say that I am very pleasantly surprised and like the follow-ups very much.

My expectations for yet another Dune movie are low based on other attempts and just the nature of the story. Of course I felt the same way about the Lord of the Rings and I think the Peter Jackson rendition was done very, very well despite straying a bit from the original books. The Hobbit movie series, on the other hand, is a steaming pile. How you can take the shortest and most whimsical story of the bunch and turn it into hours and hours of dark brooding spread over three movies is beyond me.

I tried reading Foundation a long time ago and all I remember is not liking it and bailing out.

Well, I finished "The Man In The High Castle", can't say I enjoyed it much, seemed very confusing at times.

Started Brad Meltzer's "The Inner Circle" last night.

Sheffieldish.png

A bit of fun published by the Sheffield Publicity Dept., Town Hall, Sheffield, England in 1981. My wife had it stashed away in her things, unbeknownst to me until recently. She even has trouble understanding some of these phrases since she hasn't lived there in 30+ years:1247:
An excerpt:
" A Sheffielder, as the natives are known, does not readily understand that visitors have not received the education he has, and being very proud of his city and of being a Yorkshireman he easily feels snubbed. For instance; if he said to a visitor, " Ow-ard-a " and received no reply, because the visitor was unaware of the fact that the local had been enquiring into the state of his health and welfare ( a vocal welcome ), our Yorkshire man would tut and turn his back, not to speak again. Now if the visitor had a little learning he would at once reply, " Orrayeet Arrthar?" This reply, if given in a pub, would finish with the visitor holding a pint to further the ritual of Sheffield hospitality. "

Reactions: Tyg

Most reactions

Back