What are you watching on TV right now?

Making my way through Star Trek Voyager. Currently on Season 5.

I have never had the time to watch every episode of every Trek. I think I saw roughly 2 seasons of Voyager. Maybe I'll join you later. Nice to hear that Shatner got into space at 90. Robert Heinlein sort of beat him. His ashes were launched into orbit, or something like that. I doubt if I'll make it off "the mud-ball". . . .

I have never had the time to watch every episode of every Trek. I think I saw roughly 2 seasons of Voyager. Maybe I'll join you later. Nice to hear that Shatner got into space at 90. Robert Heinlein sort of beat him. His ashes were launched into orbit, or something like that. I doubt if I'll make it off "the mud-ball". . . .

Heinlein's ashes were scattered over the Pacific, but James Doohan's (Scotty) ashes are in orbit on the International Space Station.

And Dr.Mae Jemison was the first real astronaut on Star Trek, as well as the first Black woman in space.

Succession
Invasion
Foundation
American Rust
......I watch too much..

Watching VHS tape number 3 of a 7 tape set on "Great Events of the 20th Century".

Succession
Invasion
Foundation
American Rust
......I watch too much..

How has "Foundation" been going? I think "Foundation" was the first really big SF book series I read.

I recently bought the "Black Widow" DVD. The movie is fine, but I am disappointed in the DVD package. It is basic -- just the movie and a couple of languages in the sound and subtitles, and a brief promo clip. There isn't even an interview. I wonder if the Blu-Ray has more? I have stopped buying Blu-Rays because I cannot play them on my computer and I don't even feel like turning on my TV and the 'player. Yup, I sit down in front of my computer and I'm too lazy to get up and walk over to the TV set. :)

How has "Foundation" been going? I think "Foundation" was the first really big SF book series I read.
To be honest I was not familiar with Foundation before watching the show so had no expectations but am enjoying it so far.

I was more of an Iain M Banks reader than Azimov but may give Isaac a go.

Blade Runner 2049

I bought the 3D Bluray of Blade Runner 2049 back in Feb 2018, and watched a bit of it around that time. But the movie is quite long (164 min) and for some reason I stopped about a half hour into it. I don't remember why. Probably I got distracted by a phone call. I felt that I wanted to see it in one sitting, or at the least all within the same day, so I put it off until I forgot about it.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to get through it. I started around mid-afternoon, took a break for dinner and finished it later. That viewing was in 2D, so I can see it "fresh" again in 3D later. While it covers essentially the same themes are the earlier Blade Runner, it was different enough to not make it seem like a re-tread. There was only one scene that stuck out as a mistake bad enough to mar the experience. That was the beehive scene. I will skip pointing out what it wrong with it. Ok, one problem that I had with the original Blade Runner that is "worse" in BR 2049 is the weather. I will complain about that because Ridley Scott is completely unapologetic about it. It was set in California, and the main feature of the movie was the rain. Uh, southern California is not England. Yes, it rains, but not the kind of near constant, oppressive rain as in London. Philip Dick's book featured dust -- not rain. PD was right on. California is dry and thus dust is a real issue. BR 2049 does get a nice layer of dust in some parts, and some rain in others, and snow. Oh, give me a break. Snow? Yes, the south western US can have snow. It will be rare, and yes it is possible, but seriously, rain, and snow?

Anyway, despite the liberties, I did enjoy the movie, and I appreciated the differences from the earlier work. And yes, I will see it again, both in 2D and 3D.

With all the interest in Frank Herbert's "Dune", YouTube has been filling my "menu page" with stuff from the Villeneuve movie lately. I started watching a few, then YouTube put up links for the older "mini-series". This was better done than the David Lynch movie, and, at least for now, you can see the 3 parts full length, though there is some censoring done.

The following is the link to the first part. YouTube will probably give you links to the rest:

"Dune Movie Part 1 | FULL MOVIE | Mini Series Part 1 | Sci-Fi CLASSIC | Frank Herbert's DUNE",
posted Oct 28, 2021 by "HWWS Web TV", [Length 1:35:30]
""

I see that the "Dune" mini-series has been removed from YouTube. Maybe it is on Netflix. Today, I almost bought the Villeneuve Dune movie on DVD (or Blu-Ray -- I could have bought either), but since I have read the book, seen the David Lynch movie and seen the mini-series, I decided to put it off for now and buy the "Eternals" DVD. There are a lot of whiny YouTube reviews calling this a terrible movie. I liked it. I would have suggested a different approach, but it was enjoyable enough.

So far, the best new show I have seen in the last year was the Black Widow movie. But I do find that I am enjoying re-discovering older stuff. It's cheaper too. :)

Season 4 of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" finally came out on Amazon Prime so I will be watching that starting very soon.

Since I have watched Yellowstone since it started, I had to check out 1883. Westerns are my favorites, and I must say this one has not disappointed me. All the actors have interesting characters and Sam Elliott might just be giving his best performance ever.

The Big Bus widescreen DVD............(RIP Sally Kellerman).

KEhQfY2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back