What are your 2017 Photography Resolutions?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My photography goals for 2017...

Learn to use flash to get more predictable results. As it stands now, I use more of a trial and error process (on those rare occasions when I even use flash at all).

Participate in more photo meet-ups with my local group and with my hobbyist friends.

Print more! I'm finally going to print and hang some of my favorites.

Participate in my towns annual art walk.

My 2016 resolution was to post more photos for critique and I've tried to post at least a few each month. It really helped me, I think, in making progress with both technical skills and developing my own eye. It also got me out there shooting much more frequently than in the past.

Think before shooting

Second on printing more

Third on using more flash/lighting modifiers

Learning more to express my emotions instead of being overwhelned by my emotions or hiding behind rational constructions...

I am with you on the flash. I hate using flash because I find it uncontrollable, giving me results that I don't want. It is a vicious circle of not using it because I am so bad with it ... so I never get better because I never use it. But, the big but, with high ISO getting better and better IQ, who need flash ... right?

I want to frame/crop 100% in-camera. I want to get to the skill/proficiency level of composing in the camera so that if the horizon is tilted or the framing isn't correct, then I will consider the image flawed and it gets dumped.

I am with you on the flash. I hate using flash because I find it uncontrollable, giving me results that I don't want. It is a vicious circle of not using it because I am so bad with it ... so I never get better because I never use it. But, the big but, with high ISO getting better and better IQ, who need flash ... right?

Lol.. well for me the flash is almost useless in the vast majority of what I shoot - at the zoo shooting through glass all the flash does is reflect right back off the glass. Major flare.

I have a yongnuo more or less for "emergencies", if I find myself shooting indoors yes, I can break out the flash. But like you I spend so little time using it that I'm usually better off shooting at higher ISO and doing noise reduction later, since I spend a ton of time doing that.. lol.

Learn to use flash.

Set up a small home studio, more importantly learn how to use it. lol

Shoot more locations
Isn't Misssus ZS going to be a little cranky when she comes home and finds a GBH or a couple of Snowies perched on the living sofa in your studio?

I want to frame/crop 100% in-camera. I want to get to the skill/proficiency level of composing in the camera so that if the horizon is tilted or the framing isn't correct, then I will consider the image flawed and it gets dumped.
THAT is ambitious!

I need to try to make some "art" photographs. I recently obtained a terrific new printer, and in looking through my photos, did not see any that are "print worthy". :blue:

Years ago I resolved to not make New Year's Resolutions, and haven't.

That said, I have a wish to get a job, in 2017, that actually pays money. :)
I also plan to shoot more and expand my photographic horizons a bit. The second part will require more hardware so the first wish has to come true.

Last edited:
My solution is to get on with my part-finished projects - redundant churches, Lincoln cathedral grotesques and buskers. I also want to master my printer - monochrome goes quite well but I cannot get colour to behave - the printer driver with my new iMac is very different to the driver for the self-same printer under Windows 7.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back