what are your go to lenses for traveling?

Make's a good point. Extra cards! I carry a couple extra for each camera I might have along. Having the right extra lense for a shot but a full card and no extra card ain't all that good! Probably shouldtake an extra battery also!

BTW, I've never needed the extra card's but leave them home and bet I'll need them!

Extra battery for the mirrorless.
That was one of my biggest learning experiences when I switched from dSLR to mirrorless. The mirrorless SUCKED power. Instead of the whole weekend on my dSLR, my mirrorless battery lasts only a few hours.

That was one of my biggest learning experiences when I switched from dSLR to mirrorless. The mirrorless SUCKED power. Instead of the whole weekend on my dSLR, my mirrorless battery lasts only a few hours.
I am curious what camera body you use, and if you use the rear screen a lot? I am surprised how long the batteries last in my Z6II, often approaching 1000 shots before I need to swap batteries. I still bring extras everywhere I go, but I have yet to find myself in a situation where I would have been in trouble if I forgot an extra.

I am curious what camera body you use, and if you use the rear screen a lot? I am surprised how long the batteries last in my Z6II, often approaching 1000 shots before I need to swap batteries. I still bring extras everywhere I go, but I have yet to find myself in a situation where I would have been in trouble if I forgot an extra.

Use a D7200 for my dSLR.
For mirrorless an Olympus EM1-mk2 + a pro zoom (12-40/28, 40-150/2.8 or 12-100/4).

My experience with the Olympus is, for battery life, unlike a dSLR, it is not the shutter count that matters, but the 'power ON" time.
I've shot over 2,000 frames in about 1.5 hours, and still had plenty of power left.
But I've shot only about 700 frame, in about 2.5 hours, and drained the battery.
On vacation with the earlier EM1-mk1, and a non-pro lens, over several days, I was consistently getting about 4 hours of run time. It was consistent enough that I could predict when I would need to change batteries; around 11 am, and 4pm.

The next variable is the lens.
On vacation with the earlier EM1-mk1, and a non-pro lens, over several days, I was consistently getting about 4 hours of run time.
But at home, with any of the pro lenses, the run time DROPPED to less than 3 hours.
Some suspect that the AF motor in the pro lenses, suck more power than the AF motor in the non-pro lens. Which makes sense, if the pro lens AF is faster, the motor has more torque, and likely a higher peak battery drain for that torque.

I normally shoot sports at school, where the camera rarely goes to sleep.
I might power down at half-time, but other than that, it is ON.

My travel lens is the Tamron 18-400mm. It is fairly compact and lightweight, and it gives me options for both landscape shots and zooming in on critters. I just switched from a Canon 90D to the R7, so I guess extra batteries are a must, although I haven't had an opportunity to put it through its paces just yet.

My travel lens is the Tamron 18-400mm. It is fairly compact and lightweight, and it gives me options for both landscape shots and zooming in on critters. I just switched from a Canon 90D to the R7, so I guess extra batteries are a must, although I haven't had an opportunity to put it through its paces just yet.
Any problems using the Tamron on the R7 via the EF to RF adapter?

Yup batteries.
What I learned on my Olympus is that battery life on a mirrorless is related to power ON time, not number of shots taken.
And battery life on a mirrorless is MUCH shorter than a dSLR. I can shoot my dSLR all weekend on a single charge. My Olympus will do 2.5 to 4 hours, depending on which lens I am using. I shoot sports, so I run the camera for most of the game without powering down, and that IS hard on battery life.
YMMV. You have to USE the camera to figure out how long you can run the camera, before you need to change batteries, and thus how many batteries you will need.

Nikon Z-50, 16-50 and 50-250

Any problems using the Tamron on the R7 via the EF to RF adapter?
None at all. I purchased the Canon adapter, without the function ring because all my lenses are EF. All my Tamron and Sigma lenses perform flawlessly on the R7. I would imagine that third party adapters like Meike or Neewer also perform fairly well, since the adapter is a simple ring with the electronics for the lens control. I have no plans for the near future to buy any RF lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back