What are your plans for 2014? (Nikon Related)

I have two new toys arriving today:

85mm 1.8G
Lensbaby Composer Pro with edge 80 optic

Initially, I had decided to buy the 85mm 1.4G. However, after extensive research I just couldn't find the evidence to justify paying 3 times more for a lens that is not even twice as good. With the extra cash, I decided to buy the lensbaby. I have never used a lensbaby but I like novelty lenses and it will be fun to experiment and play with new possibilities. I am actually more excited about the lensbaby than the 85!

That will be it for me as far as buying new lenses this year. I usually like to buy/try 1-2 lenses a year and learn them before I add something new.

85mm 1.8G

Initially, I had decided to buy the 85mm 1.4G. However, after extensive research I just couldn't find the evidence to justify paying 3 times more for a lens that is not even twice as good. With the extra cash, I decided to buy the lensbaby. I have never used a lensbaby but I like novelty lenses and it will be fun to experiment and play with new possibilities. I am actually more excited about the lensbaby than the 85!

That will be it for me as far as buying new lenses this year. I usually like to buy/try 1-2 lenses a year and learn them before I add something new.

I made the same decision on the 85mm f/1.8 G-series versus the faster f/1.4 model. In lab tests, the f/1.8 G series is one of the absolute sharpest lenses tested by DxO Mark. Out of I think, 73 lenses tested on the D3x,D600,and D800, the 85mm 1.4, 85 1.8, and Sigma 35mm f/1.4 are like 1,2,3 in performance overall. ANd on APS-C bodies, the 85/1.8 G series is ALSO a stellar lens; APS-C is in most ways VERY demanding, very taxing, on the lenses. On the newer Nikon APS-C bodies, they all have 24MP resolution, so they are very pixel-dense, and that means the lens has to deliver very high performance in order to actually utilize that pixel density; the 85 1.8 G lens shows its mettle on the star chart tests I have seen on-line; the earlier 85/1.8 AF-D lens looks very shoddy by comparison, and is riddled with purple fringing at wider f/strops. The 85/1.8 G delivers performance that's actually HIGHER than say, $1600 Zeiss prime lenses...making the new 85/1.8 G-series, I think one of the very best lenses most people will ever shoot AND at a reasonable price. And the 1.8 G delivers this amazing sharpness from around f/2.2!!! It is flat-out one of the most-amazing lens designs Nikon has managed to make in several decades.

I think for landscapes and general 85mm field tele uses, the 85/1.8 G is almost unbeatable. I still think the older 85mm 1.4 AF-D has prettier image rendering, and I prefer the older lens for the way it has a sharp center, and softer edges, and has a sort of creamy, dreamy, sensual look for portraiture. The 1.8 G-series makes images that are so bitingly sharp, they are almost clinical, almost dispassionate, but that is sort of the new "look" Nikon has been going for with its newer primes. The 24/35/50/,85 and 105 VR, and the new 60 G micro all have this ultra-high sharpness, ultra-saturated color rendition...it's a slightly new look to this old dog, but I think it might be what many customers want, especially if they shoot JPEG and want images SOOC that really have terrific bite, and high color saturation, without the need to boost the images with a lot of USM, clarity, and saturation in post.

An example of where the above was NOT favorable: the ORIGINAL Lensbaby had a soft, dreamy image. The Lensbaby 2.0 model had an added lens element, a sharper central image, and MUCH crisper, cleaner color. I was NOT a fan of the 2.0 model. It was sooo much sharper,m and harder to focus, that I really was disappointed with it compared against the soft, dreamy look of the Original model. I am not familiar with the edge 80's characteristics.

85mm 1.8G

I made the same decision on the 85mm f/1.8 G-series versus the faster f/1.4 model. In lab tests, the f/1.8 G series is one of the absolute sharpest lenses tested by DxO Mark. Out of I think, 73 lenses tested on the D3x,D600,and D800, the 85mm 1.4, 85 1.8, and Sigma 35mm f/1.4 are like 1,2,3 in performance overall. ANd on APS-C bodies, the 85/1.8 G series is ALSO a stellar lens; APS-C is in most ways VERY demanding, very taxing, on the lenses. On the newer Nikon APS-C bodies, they all have 24MP resolution, so they are very pixel-dense, and that means the lens has to deliver very high performance in order to actually utilize that pixel density; the 85 1.8 G lens shows its mettle on the star chart tests I have seen on-line; the earlier 85/1.8 AF-D lens looks very shoddy by comparison, and is riddled with purple fringing at wider f/strops. The 85/1.8 G delivers performance that's actually HIGHER than say, $1600 Zeiss prime lenses...making the new 85/1.8 G-series, I think one of the very best lenses most people will ever shoot AND at a reasonable price. And the 1.8 G delivers this amazing sharpness from around f/2.2!!! It is flat-out one of the most-amazing lens designs Nikon has managed to make in several decades.

I think for landscapes and general 85mm field tele uses, the 85/1.8 G is almost unbeatable. I still think the older 85mm 1.4 AF-D has prettier image rendering, and I prefer the older lens for the way it has a sharp center, and softer edges, and has a sort of creamy, dreamy, sensual look for portraiture. The 1.8 G-series makes images that are so bitingly sharp, they are almost clinical, almost dispassionate, but that is sort of the new "look" Nikon has been going for with its newer primes. The 24/35/50/,85 and 105 VR, and the new 60 G micro all have this ultra-high sharpness, ultra-saturated color rendition...it's a slightly new look to this old dog, but I think it might be what many customers want, especially if they shoot JPEG and want images SOOC that really have terrific bite, and high color saturation, without the need to boost the images with a lot of USM, clarity, and saturation in post.

An example of where the above was NOT favorable: the ORIGINAL Lensbaby had a soft, dreamy image. The Lensbaby 2.0 model had an added lens element, a sharper central image, and MUCH crisper, cleaner color. I was NOT a fan of the 2.0 model. It was sooo much sharper,m and harder to focus, that I really was disappointed with it compared against the soft, dreamy look of the Original model. I am not familiar with the edge 80's characteristics.

Appreciate the info, Derrel! Gives me some confidence that I made the right choice with the 85mm 1.8. I completely agree that the G series can be too sharp (unless you just really like that hyperrealistic look). I have the 28 and the 105G, and although I really enjoy both, sometimes it's over-the-top. I have the 50 and 60 D, and both are terrific lenses at a lower cost, plus I can use them on my Nikon FM when I get a wild hair to shoot some film.

As for the Lensbaby, not at all sure what I am getting into with it, but hoping it's fun and I'll post some images! :)

I made the same decision on the 85mm f/1.8 G-series versus the faster f/1.4 model. In lab tests, the f/1.8 G series is one of the absolute sharpest lenses tested by DxO Mark. Out of I think, 73 lenses tested on the D3x,D600,and D800, the 85mm 1.4, 85 1.8, and Sigma 35mm f/1.4 are like 1,2,3 in performance overall. ANd on APS-C bodies, the 85/1.8 G series is ALSO a stellar lens; APS-C is in most ways VERY demanding, very taxing, on the lenses. On the newer Nikon APS-C bodies, they all have 24MP resolution, so they are very pixel-dense, and that means the lens has to deliver very high performance in order to actually utilize that pixel density; the 85 1.8 G lens shows its mettle on the star chart tests I have seen on-line; the earlier 85/1.8 AF-D lens looks very shoddy by comparison, and is riddled with purple fringing at wider f/strops. The 85/1.8 G delivers performance that's actually HIGHER than say, $1600 Zeiss prime lenses...making the new 85/1.8 G-series, I think one of the very best lenses most people will ever shoot AND at a reasonable price. And the 1.8 G delivers this amazing sharpness from around f/2.2!!! It is flat-out one of the most-amazing lens designs Nikon has managed to make in several decades. I think for landscapes and general 85mm field tele uses, the 85/1.8 G is almost unbeatable. I still think the older 85mm 1.4 AF-D has prettier image rendering, and I prefer the older lens for the way it has a sharp center, and softer edges, and has a sort of creamy, dreamy, sensual look for portraiture. The 1.8 G-series makes images that are so bitingly sharp, they are almost clinical, almost dispassionate, but that is sort of the new "look" Nikon has been going for with its newer primes. The 24/35/50/,85 and 105 VR, and the new 60 G micro all have this ultra-high sharpness, ultra-saturated color rendition...it's a slightly new look to this old dog, but I think it might be what many customers want, especially if they shoot JPEG and want images SOOC that really have terrific bite, and high color saturation, without the need to boost the images with a lot of USM, clarity, and saturation in post. An example of where the above was NOT favorable: the ORIGINAL Lensbaby had a soft, dreamy image. The Lensbaby 2.0 model had an added lens element, a sharper central image, and MUCH crisper, cleaner color. I was NOT a fan of the 2.0 model. It was sooo much sharper,m and harder to focus, that I really was disappointed with it compared against the soft, dreamy look of the Original model. I am not familiar with the edge 80's characteristics.
I have the 1.8d and I find it sharp at 2- 2.2 and up. @ 2.8 it's tack sharp. Anything above that it can be too sharp ( in the center - never checked the corners) The purple fringing is true but LR 4 (not 3) does a good job at correcting it. I have been thinking of getting the 1.4D, 1.8G or the 1.4G or the sigma 85 ( but afraid of AF issues) so I've been on the fence. I think I'm going to rent them all lol.

I am hoping to retire later this year, and possibly buy a Macro and zoom lens for my D3200, and shoot a lot more pictures than I have time for now.

jenko said:
Appreciate the info, Derrel! Gives me some confidence that I made the right choice with the 85mm 1.8. I completely agree that the G series can be too sharp (unless you just really like that hyperrealistic look). I have the 28 and the 105G, and although I really enjoy both, sometimes it's over-the-top. I have the 50 and 60 D, and both are terrific lenses at a lower cost, plus I can use them on my Nikon FM when I get a wild hair to shoot some film.

As for the Lensbaby, not at all sure what I am getting into with it, but hoping it's fun and I'll post some images! :)

Your description of the 105VR-G's imaging characteristic as "hyperrealistic" is a good one. That's what a number of longtime Nikon shooters over at Nikongear.com use to describe its imaging character. I have a 60-D micro, and it's got biting sharpness, a sort of clinical look as well, but the "hyperrealistic" look of the newer 60mm AF-S G micro and the 105 VR-G micro are really startling, to me. I am sort of a "lens nut"; to me, what I notice is that the newer G-series primes make images that have higher saturation and richer color than the older lenses did,and I am not 100% sure I need that or want that in lenses designed for people pictures.

Also, it seems to me that the new G-series lenses seem to match the white balance pre-sets of today's d-slr's in a different way than older lenses designed in the 1980's or 1990's. And also, I think Nikon has just upped the overall image quality of these lenses FOR DIGITAL bodies that are 24 MP or higher...they came out with the lenses first, and then they started jacking up the MP counts from 12 to 16 then 24 and now 36 megapixel. These newer prime lenses are sharper, and deliver more "bite" than most of the older lenses from the AF-D era.

This thread has got me to thinking....maybe this year, I will buy the one lens I've kinda been wanting, the 16-35mm f/4 VR. THAT is a zoom I think I could really,really use. I've collected too much stuff that doesn't get used often enough. I might try to pare down this year, and try and get to where I own less,but better.

I want to continue learning about portraiture. I just started delving into it, and really require A LOT of practice. I hope by the years end to have a few portraits that I really like, and can be proud of. In terms of gear, I have been drooling over a 70-200 VRI for years, so maybe I'll finally upgrade to that. I also want a new tripod, and I want to shoot more nature photos/landscapes.

Best,
Jake

I want a D700...

I mostly miss a second FX body to reduce time wasted on lens exchanges. But I want the second body to NOT have the limited AF area of the D600 again. So I will probably be out of luck for 2014.

In 2015 or 2016 there might be a successor of the D600 or Df thats a good choice for me. D800 is too heavy and large for my taste, D4 only even worse and also a too high a pricepoint.

I will however very likely get small things like a TTL connector for my flash during 2014. And some sort of compact camera to have a camera always with me. Not really sure which one though, theres some strong choices out there - Sony RX100 II, Fuji X100s. Hmm okay - maybe there are not THAT many choices, after all.

Other than that - macro lens ? Mayyyybeeee ...

This thread has got me to thinking....maybe this year, I will buy the one lens I've kinda been wanting, the 16-35mm f/4 VR. THAT is a zoom I think I could really,really use. I've collected too much stuff that doesn't get used often enough. I might try to pare down this year, and try and get to where I own less,but better.
All I can say - I love mine. Its a bit hefty on distortions at 16mm, but that actually adds to the whole "oooh ultra ultra wide" experience. Plus at 21mm its already fine again.

I really just need to focus on basic skills improvement. I bought my D5100 because I was frustrated at the limits imposed by my Fuji S1800, although I suspect some of those limits were caused by not learning the equipment.

So I've got the D5100 with a Tamron 18 - 270 f/3.5, and a nice Dolica tripod. No off-camera flash yet, but I'm looking. I also have Jason Youn's Mastering Digital Photography and Robert Rodriguez's Beyond the Lens books (free on Kindle at one point), and I'm saving for Peterson's Understanding Exposure, and much of his other stuff. I also want to gain some GIMP skills. I know how to move the sliders and such on a lot of the tools, but I'm not sure what they do. :)

85mm 1.8G

ha you're making me want the 85mm 1.8g even more!

about pixel density, don't the D7100 and D800 have equal pixel density? D800 has 1.5x more pixels on a sensor 1.5x the size

about pixel density, don't the D7100 and D800 have equal pixel density? D800 has 1.5x more pixels on a sensor 1.5x the size

Nope, the D800 has the equivalent of 15.4 MP on a DX sized sonsor where the D7100 packs in 24. I think a FF camera with the pixel density of the D7100 would be around 54 mp. That's why I'm still a big fan of DX it can in theory record more detail if you have a lens that allows it...

My point on the pixel density was also about the way Nikon began retooling its lenses with the new G-series wayyyy back when they were at 10MP and 12.2 MP on mostly everything, and only then did they go from 12.2 MP in the D3,D3s, and D700 to 24MP on the D3x in 2009, and then moved up to 16MP on the APS-C bodies, then 24MP on APS-C, and then to 36MP on the D800...Nikon basically designed and started selling high-performance lenses BEFORE the cameras were out.

Nope, the D800 has the equivalent of 15.4 MP on a DX sized sonsor where the D7100 packs in 24. I think a FF camera with the pixel density of the D7100 would be around 54 mp. That's why I'm still a big fan of DX it can in theory record more detail if you have a lens that allows it...

Its not an equivalent at all, 36MP from a D800 is going to be better than 24mp in a D7100. For several reasons, primarily.

Surface area of the sensor: Much larger on a D800

Pixel Pitch : better on the D800

Pixel Area: The D800 has larger pixels which gather light better and equate to a better signal to noise ratio. '

I would much rather have the D800 over the D7100 . Both are a fantasy for me right now in any event. However the D800 has it where it counts. More pixels do not mean better necessarily in any event.

Most reactions

Back