What are your thought on buying new vs used lens?

I will buy a used for a fill in size. A refurb for slightly more important. But if it is a really important lens... Like my 35mm f1.4 or 50mm f1.4 I'll get new. I have had good luck with all.

I have bought several used lenses over the years and have been lucky. The best part of buying used is that you can usually get all your money back out of it if you should decide to sell it. Can't do that with a new lens.

Pro lenses are built to last, so used is as good as new IMO. I do shy away from used afs lenses because focus motors wear out.

A used 80-200mm af will outlast a new vr2 afs.

Thanks for making it easier for me. I have seen quite few afs lenses, but they usually go for $200-$300 more than af.

Sounds like af is sure bet. )))

We Nikon shooters pay extra to have a new Nikon lens warranty extended by 4 years. We pay the extra cost even if we don't take the necessary steps required to have the extension applied.

FWIW, that 4 year extension only applies when you register the lens at NikonUSA.com. If you don't register the lens, the warranty is for just 1 year.
Are you sure about that? I know that is what the propaganda is telling you but, if you look at those warranty cards, they go to the marketing department. I have heard from more than one Nikon shooter that all Nikon needs for warranty work through the 5 years is a copy of the sales receipt clearly stating the date of purchase. I recently sent my lens in to be evaluated for an insurance claim after sustaining impact damage. Even though the warranty doesn't apply in this case, the rep I spoke with on the phone checked to see if I had registered it with Nikon. She said my camera was in there but not the lens. She then said she would add it for me. That lens is going on 3 years old. I don't think she would have even mentioned it if not returning that warranty card made a difference.

Every dslr camera body and lenses i own right now where bought used

I'm a big fan of buying used lens, and sold one myself.

The main thing about buying used lens is knowing what kind of warranty/safe guard you have.
Say if you buy from ebay and you receive a lens that is different from how it was being described, you can return the lens and get refunded. Ebay usually sides towards the buyer if claims are checked out.
If you buy from an online store, get it from KEH.com or reputable stores like them. They have trusted system of rating their products. Although you may not see the actual item's pictures, it's safe to buy because they filter out most of the undesired items. They also have return policies that they honor.
If you buy from craigslist, the bad thing is you walk away with whatever you have. If you miss something while checking it in person, that's your own fault. The good thing is, you get to check it personally.
Lastly, buying from a physical store is a bit better than buying from craigslists. Some have return policy, some don't. It still comes down to how well you know your stuff.

So before buying any lens, do lots of research to find out what are the common issues with the lens you are looking for. Test it out thoroughly if possible, talk to the owner about it ( I know many will just be indifferent ) and know the price range so you don't end up paying more than you should. It can become addictive.

Thanks for making it easier for me. I have seen quite few afs lenses, but they usually go for $200-$300 more than af.

Don't get me wrong, afs is much better than af--the problem is mileage, if the lens is only a couple years old and seen light use the focus motor should have many years of life left in it.

Don't get me wrong, afs is much better than af--the problem is mileage, if the lens is only a couple years old and seen light use the focus motor should have many years of life left in it.

Do you know why Nikon discontinued AF-S, and now is making 80-200 aS only?

I always look at used stuff, then end up buying new. I'm not sure what my problem is. lol.

All of my lenses are/were used, same with my flash, grip and body.
I saved a ton that way!!!
Buy used from adorama or keh and you get a nice warranty.
Bam!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back