What battery?

Mel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a Nikon D40 this week, what brand of battery do you suggest? also I have 2 lenses 28-90mm and 100-300mm both Quantaray will those both work for the Nikon D40? thank you in advance.

what brand of battery do you suggest?

i dont understand.... it comes with a rechargable battery pack... and its very good too, lasts ages?? so you wont need to buy any batteries.... unless you need extra ones

i have a D80 and extra battery packs are only £9 including P&P on ebay.

as for the Quantaray lens, someone else will have to answer that.

Ok thank you. I wasn't sure if that battery would last a long time. I was looking at memory cards and they can be really expensive or really cheap? is there one brand that is better than the next? and can i just get a memory card or does the card have to be specifically for D40? I"m buying the camera online so that's why i'm unsure about which one to get? And still if anyone knows about the lenses that would be alot of help cause I want the lenses that i have, fit my new camera. Thank you for your input!

That camera does not have a specific card...just a specific type of card (SD I think). The difference in price is due to the storage capacity and speed of the cards (& brand etc). The cheaper (usually slower) cards are fully usable...they are just a little slower when uploading the images or when reviewing them on the camera. There would probably not be much difference when shooting...unless you are using the camera like a machine gun.

Personally, I like Sandisk. Their Ultra II cards are fast and affordable.

thank you for the input I wouldn't get the CF anyway it was $250!!! yicks! anyone take the challenge of the lenses?? Will the Quanataray lenses work on a D40?

How about a link to the lens you're referring to. If it says it's made 'Exclusively for Nikon digital slrs' you *should* be alright. I know Nikon calls them DX, Tamron calls them Di, not sure about the others. Best bet would be to ask the Quantaray themselves and see what they say about it.

Do you have the link to the Quantaray themselves? I can't seem to find it.

The lenses need an internal AF motor to work on the D40. I can almost guarantee the quantaray's don't. You really should buy Nikkor lenses.

JDP what is the difference from a Nikon D50 vs Nikon D40?

Well I've had these lenses for 7 years for my Nikon N65. so that's why I have them. But if these lenses are a dim a dozen then I might as well not worry about it. but it still would be nice if they worked with the camera. On the cap it says for Nikon. Does that mean Nikon 35mm or can it mean digital also?

Internal AF motor? is that something I can buy as an extra piece? or is that already in the lense?

sorry this might be a silly question.

JDP what is the difference from a Nikon D50 vs Nikon D40?
The D50 has an AF motor, so it can drive lenses that don't have AF motors.

Internal AF motor? is that something I can buy as an extra piece? or is that already in the lense?
You can't buy it as an add-on. Either the lens has it, or the camera.

From what I can tell, the D40 was designed with new SLR users in mind...and users that will only ever buy or use the handful of lenses with their own AF motors (I think that is the Nikkor G lenses). If you have older lenses then the D50 would probably be a better choice of camera for you.

If they fit your N65 then they will fit your D40. But fit is all they will do. You will lose your autofocus becuase the D40 uses an electronic signal instead of a mechanical motor to focus. So the only lenses that will autofocus with your D40 are the AF-S lenses. They have the mechanical AF motor built into them. You should look at getting some new lenses that are AF-S this way you can get the full functionality out of your lenses.

Most reactions

Back