What bird is this, can't identify with the bird book that i have

bobandcar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What bird is this, can't identify with the bird book that i have $Hawk Eating.JPG

Do you have a pic of it flying Or a different angle? Its hard to tell from this pic. It kind of looks like an immature Bald Eagle. Or a Goshawk depending on the size. But by the way that it is standing, I'd say Bald Eagle.

It's the only one I have. He flew off with his food very swiftly after I got semi close.
My first thought was a type of osprey. Threw that out the window quickly.
Then thought a hawk, possible but the white feathers on the upper legs made me also think a eagle of some sort.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I was working and saw him fly by with it's meal so I tried to follow with my camera

His eyes don't look freakishly yellow enough to be an osprey.

(like I have any idea, I'm totally ignorant of birds... my reaction to "what kind of bird is this?" was "a scary one!") :lol:

Are you sure about the size? That would put it in the falcon family. The beak just screams eagle to me and I looked at the goshawk and it has red eyes. Osprey just aren't that dark. It could be a rough legged hawk... Maybe

Excellent birding database resource online makes it fairly easy to narrow it down (and can be had for smart phones too). If you still can't work it out yourself after using the database, the VERY knowledgeable forum members there will no doubt have an answer for you.

WhatBird | identify birds | bird identification guide | north america

Click the "Search" tab on the main page to get started in their database, btw.

Most reactions

Back