What Book are you reading or just finished ?

I'm smack dab in the middle of "Lolita". I found the beginning to be quite enjoyable but I feel as though I've missed half the book since I don't speak French and don't have the patience to sit down and read with a French to English dictionary next to me. :roll:

However, the pace seems to have settled a bit in the middle and I haven't been able to pick it up in about 2 1/2 weeks. It might be resigned to that large stack of books on the shelf that I never had the patience to finish. :(

I'm re-reading Peter F Hamiltons "Night's Dawn" trilogy, only another 2500 odd pages to go :wink:

Letters from a Lost Generation - First World War Letters of Vera Brittain and Four Friends.

Vera's brother Edward and his friends Roland Leighton (who was Vera's fiance), Victor Richardson and Geoffrey Thurlow left school in the summer of 1914 and all joined the army as soon as they could. All four were killed between December 1915 and June 1918, Edward in Italy and the others in France, and this book is a collection of their letters to each other.

Vera Brittain went on to write Testament of Youth, and became a lifelong campaigner for peace.

Thomsk

JonK said:
reading.....very very slowly....To Rule The Waves: How The British Navy Shaped The Modern World by Arthur Herman. Fascinating.

That's on my 'to be read' list. I understand that Herman is an American, so it will be interesting to see his take on the Royal Navy.

If you are into that sort of thing, I wonder if you have read any of Patrick O'Brian's novels about Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin, set in the RN during the Napoleonic Wars. There are 20 in the series and I read all of them straight through a few years ago. Excellent stuff, and generally based on real events of the time.

Thomsk

Peanuts said:
In the last two weeks I finished: The Count of Monte Cristo, Memoirs of a Geisha, Falling Leaves, My Sister's Keeper and The Mayor of Casterbridge, and I must say, I am quite 'read-out' right about now. But I am always looking for a good book, so I will be checking back on this thread to create a new 'to-read' list :)

i was just talking to my wife about this book a few days ago, saying it would probably be a good read. what did you think of it?

Currently reading Foundation by Issac Asimov.

lostprophet said:
I'm re-reading Peter F Hamiltons "Night's Dawn" trilogy, only another 2500 odd pages to go :wink:

Ahhh marvellous :) Have you read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained yet?

fredcwdoc said:
"Heaven" by Randy Alcorn.

I thought that name sounded familiar... i just started reading "the treasure principle"... very short... my kind of book... :mrgreen:

JTHphoto said:
i was just talking to my wife about this book a few days ago, saying it would probably be a good read. what did you think of it?

In all honesty, from what I can remember of the movie released four years ago, I do believe I enjoyed the movie a bit more than the book, which is rare. I do believe it is still worth a read, as I did gain quite a bit of knowledge of life back in the Napoleonic days and Alexandre Dumas is an amazing writer the way he brings all the intertwining plots and such together. Yet saying that, if the names weren't the same between the movie and book, I strongly doubt about 1/3 through either I would even connect the two. Probably the second best book of the batch I listed though :thumbup:

JTHphoto said:
I have been reading (trying to read) Crichton's "State of Fear" since February... i'm only halfway through it... not totally impressed so far... i like a book that makes you stay up until 4am because you just can't put it down...
You should get Dan Brown's titles. I used to read 'em even while driving! Never knew I could get so glued. :)

Recently finished books:
All of Dan Brown titles
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0374292884/qid=1142477350/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-1324169-5879312?s=books&v=glance&n=283155"]The World is Flat[/ame]

Currently going through:
State of Fear - by Michael Crichton
AlWaleed - by Riz Khan

Just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown. Great.

Mohain said:

Ahhh marvellous :) Have you read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained yet?

Ohh yes just waiting for the follow ups to those two ,"The Void Trilogy" set about 1000 years after Judas Unchained

Most reactions

New Topics

Back