What book are you reading?

I have re-read several of the classics in the past few months out of sheer boredom!
My wife & I re-read our favorites all the time. For me it's J.R.R. Tolkien; The Hobbit, LOTR, The Simarillion, The Children of Hurin. For her, it's the Harry Potter series.

It's nice to have something easy and familiar to read at bedtime. We are both reading A Song of Fire & Ice and we tend to stay up too late and not get enough sleep...especially because the twins still don't sleep though the night.

If you like those, Mike (x3 on 4th book of Game of Thrones), you'd LOVE Stephen Erickson's Malazan series. It's a HUGE, EPIC undertaking, but awesome all the way through. Bigger than LOTR, but waaay more entertaining.

I'm presently reading:
Book 2 of Kelby's 'Digital Photography' (Like this series, Kelby makes 'em entertaining)
PSE 10 - Kelby/Kloskowski (This is currently bathroom material - right now I'm focusing on taking some decent photographs, I'll get into PP later)
The Art of Photography - Bruce Barnbaum (picking away at this in small bites, it's pretty 'textbook-like' and a dry read)

For a little fiction 'The Bourne Deception' by Lustbader (series is pure fluff, not nearly as good as Ludlum's 'Bourne' books)

Gotta mention 'The Moment It Clicks' by Joe McNally (again) - wow did I ever enjoy that book

Next up is 'Understanding Exposure 3rd edition' by Bryan Peterson

JM

how to take great photographs: a practical photography course by john freeman

no really. its back from the film days.

I just finished Loving Frank - a novelization of the affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney. It was okay. The characters felt kind of cardboard-y. I have had an interest in Wright, though, ever since seeing Fallingwater and readingThe Fountainhead, though, so I just picked up his biography and will make my way through that next. (Yes, I already had it. I've got a bookshelf filled with biographies, half of which I haven't read yet. Makes it easy to start a new book when I'm ready! :) )

I'm 'bout half-way through Light Science and Magic.

So far, it's been about light. And a bit of science tossed in.

I'm hoping there will be some magic towards the end. I need some new tricks for my magic show.

I am reading Shantaram. It is a "true" (the broad strokes, at least) autobiography of a philosophical Australian fellow who escaped from prison and moved to / become very culturally ingrained in Mumbai, where he got up to some crazy hijinx. Quite thought provoking and educational, while also entertainingly paced, and he is an excellent wordsmith. I recommend.

I just finished Loving Frank - a novelization of the affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney. It was okay. The characters felt kind of cardboard-y. I have had an interest in Wright, though, ever since seeing Fallingwater and readingThe Fountainhead, though, so I just picked up his biography and will make my way through that next. (Yes, I already had it. I've got a bookshelf filled with biographies, half of which I haven't read yet. Makes it easy to start a new book when I'm ready! :) )

I'm going to get that book..FLW adoration forever. Been to Taliesin. Most of his Chicago works, Unity temple. Still have the book of his works I purchased at Taliesin. BTW FLW designed Falling water in 3 hours. with almost no later revision. glad to met another fan. Ed

Besides reading my own book over... and over... and over again...

I'm also reading Pools of Radiance or whatever the heck the new Brandon Sanderson book is called. (the curse of a Kindle is not seeing the cover all the time and forgetting the title) :)

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I visited Fallingwater several times. It's fantastic. And of course the Guggenheim. I haven't visited his Chicago houses. I did go to Oak Park, but I was more interested in visiting the Ernest Hemingway house and didn't have time to see anything else. After reading this book, I really want to visit Taliesin.

I hope this biography is good. Bad biographies are more disappointing to me than bad novels. I despise biographies written by sycophants that glorify their subjects. I want to learn about the whole person, the good and bad, rather than be told to simply worship someone because the author thinks he or she is perfect.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I visited Fallingwater several times. It's fantastic. And of course the Guggenheim. I haven't visited his Chicago houses. I did go to Oak Park, but I was more interested in visiting the Ernest Hemingway house and didn't have time to see anything else. After reading this book, I really want to visit Taliesin.

I hope this biography is good. Bad biographies are more disappointing to me than bad novels. I despise biographies written by sycophants that glorify their subjects. I want to learn about the whole person, the good and bad, rather than be told to simply worship someone because the author thinks he or she is perfect.

One thing that always stood out was his use of a statue to depict,Flower in the Crannied Wall by ALT $thOLGVJONU.jpg

Got this pic from public pics, if it is not allowed let me know and I will delete

Most reactions

Back