What brands of tripods should I be looking at? (~$200)

Spaceman Spiff 23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

My brother is getting a Canon t1i soon, and i will probably be using it quite a bit as well. It will be his camera, and he is doing a lot of research right now on lenses and filters and the like. I have decided to dedicate myself to finding the best tripod for it within a reasonable price range.

I don't mind doing the research myself, but I would love to know what direction to start looking. What brands should I be looking at for a nice tripod that is durable, sturdy, compact, and light enough to take on short hikes, but not too expensive. I'm thinking at or under $200 (under would be better).

After looking around on this site all weekend, the only brands I've heard of are Manfrotto (which sounds like the best option) and Gitzo, which might be a bit too pricey. Are there other brands out there that I should take a look at?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I would not think twice buying a Manfrotto tripod. I'm really satisfied with its performance that I wrote a review here for the 055XDB model I bought. You may check it out. Good luck on your choice.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Take a look at Giottos, great tripods!

Giottos look pretty nice. Can you tell me what the difference is between the MTL 93 series and the MTL 33 series is?

For hiking, I use a Velbon 530 carbon fiber........:D

Giottos look pretty nice. Can you tell me what the difference is between the MTL 93 series and the MTL 33 series is?
The MTL 93 series come with both 3 and 4 section legs. The MTL 33 series are all 3 section legs. The MTL 33 series generally have more weight capacity than the MTL 93 series.

You could save a fair bit of money if you consider the MT-9300 series. They are an aluminum alloy that is not significanly heavier IMO than the Carbon fiber MTL's and they have good weight capacity too,.

B&H currently has this MT series Giottos tripod on special right at your $200 budget and it includes a built-in head.

Most reactions

Back