What camera accessories (hardware) should I buy next?

SaugaPhotoGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a Canon T5i for Christmas. The package came with the stock lens, telephoto lens, extra battery, and carrying case.

These are the two lenses:

EF-S18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S55-250/4-5.6 IS STM

If I want to focus on portrait photography, what should be my next upgrade? Tripod? Better flash? Another lens?

If I want to spend less than $200 on upgrades, what should I buy? Or should I just stick with what I have and save up for a more expensive lens sometime in the future?

When you take portraits now, what do you feel is your biggest struggle? Do you want sharper images? Better bokeh? More light, or better light?

A good tripod, a good flash, and a fast prime are all things I feel are important in portraiture. The priority of each and order you purchase them in depends on your personal shooting style.

You just got your t5i for Christmas.
That was just 13 days ago.
Was this your first camera ?
What skills and experience do you have?
Are you starting a business of portrait photography?

I'm asking because I would think just learning how to use the t5i more. For instance, a lot of people simply use the Auto mode. Learning to shoot in Manual and the idiosyncrosies of the ISO, Shutter and Aperture are essential in improving your photography more than additional gear.

for portraiture I would concentrate on lighting and backgrounds. With a limited budget I would go with yongnuo flashes. I have both canon EX's and Yongnuo and I can tell you from experience that the ~$100 Yongnuo will match the $500+ Canon 600. You should try for two that way you can have a main light, and one to use as a hair light, or background. Also I would budget in for a USED copy of 'Speedlighter's Handbook'.

Just read your other thread.

I agree with above, for portraiture you want primarily lighting and getting some 3rd party flashes and learning how to use them would be of benefit.

A nice tripod is a must! I would also get a Canon speedlight. The 430exii is a bargain in my opinion.

I would wait until you cannot do something and then buy the kit that will enable you to do it. For me it would probably be a tripod as I use one most of the time yet I know other prolific photographers who do not own a tripod and do not miss the lack.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

When you take portraits now, what do you feel is your biggest struggle? Do you want sharper images? Better bokeh? More light, or better light?

A good tripod, a good flash, and a fast prime are all things I feel are important in portraiture. The priority of each and order you purchase them in depends on your personal shooting style.
Biggest struggle is indoor portraits. I feel like the stock flash isn't giving me nice and soft images. When shooting without a flash, I feel like I need a lower aperture... because right now I have to compensate by using a higher ISO or lower shutter speed which isn't giving me the nice crisp images that I want. So I mainly want softer light and crisper images.

You just got your t5i for Christmas.
That was just 13 days ago.
Was this your first camera ?
What skills and experience do you have?
Are you starting a business of portrait photography?

I'm asking because I would think just learning how to use the t5i more. For instance, a lot of people simply use the Auto mode. Learning to shoot in Manual and the idiosyncrosies of the ISO, Shutter and Aperture are essential in improving your photography more than additional gear.
Yes, it's basically my first DSLR. I have a used Nikon D40, but I didn't use it much.

I'm a beginner and doing photography as a hobby. No plans on starting a business. If after 3 years I'm still really into photography and the quality of my work is good enough, I might look for occasional paid work, but that's going to be a long way off.

I'm shooting in manual. Still getting used changing the ISO, Shutter, and Aperature, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

for portraiture I would concentrate on lighting and backgrounds. With a limited budget I would go with yongnuo flashes. I have both canon EX's and Yongnuo and I can tell you from experience that the ~$100 Yongnuo will match the $500+ Canon 600. You should try for two that way you can have a main light, and one to use as a hair light, or background. Also I would budget in for a USED copy of 'Speedlighter's Handbook'.
Thanks, I'll look into that yongnuo flash

Just read your other thread.

I agree with above, for portraiture you want primarily lighting and getting some 3rd party flashes and learning how to use them would be of benefit.
Thanks. I figured that I would need a new flash at some point. The stock camera flash just isn't really working for me... so i've been trying to shoot without a flash which isn't giving me great indoor photos.

I would wait until you cannot do something and then buy the kit that will enable you to do it. For me it would probably be a tripod as I use one most of the time yet I know other prolific photographers who do not own a tripod and do not miss the lack.

A nice tripod is a must! I would also get a Canon speedlight. The 430exii is a bargain in my opinion.

Ya, I might get a tripod. I also like doing bracketed pictures for HDR ... and that would work much better with a tripod.

I might get a cheapish tripod at first and maybe save up for a better flash.

Don't go too cheap with the tripod! It needs to be hefty enough to hold the camera rock-steady or you would be better off hand-holding.

Biggest struggle is indoor portraits. I feel like the stock flash isn't giving me nice and soft images. When shooting without a flash, I feel like I need a lower aperture... because right now I have to compensate by using a higher ISO or lower shutter speed which isn't giving me the nice crisp images that I want. So I mainly want softer light and crisper images.

In that case, I agree, a flash will help most. I would also read the tutorials from this blog: • Flash Photography Techniques - Tangents

He's very good at explaining the benefits and techniques for bounced flash, which will be easiest to learn until you can move onto off-camera flash.

Ya, I might get a tripod. I also like doing bracketed pictures for HDR ... and that would work much better with a tripod.

I might get a cheapish tripod at first and maybe save up for a better flash.

If you are truly going to try and learn portraiture then good lighting is FAR more important than a tripod. (in fact lighting outweighs any other factor you can name). DO some research on vids that top portrait photographers do and you will find 90% or more are done handheld.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back