What camera do I need?

You might also want to look at Sony. The A55 or A580 with Sony G lenses or Zeiss lenses will provide excellent quality.

skieur

I just got the t2i and the only reason i got it was because it was the the most camera you can get with $900 and being i am 15 it is a great camera for me.

Ignore megapixels, every camera currently made has enough, and some too much--sacrificing low light quality for more "megapixels."

A top of the line nikon D3s is only 12 megapixels, that should put things in perspective.

Image quality has more to do with the lens you are using, and your skill as a photographer then the camera body and sensor. More expensive cameras are faster, and better in low light, but in typical light even the cheapest DSLR bodies are "pro quality."

Ignore megapixels, every camera currently made has enough, and some too much--sacrificing low light quality for more "megapixels."

A top of the line nikon D3s is only 12 megapixels, that should put things in perspective.

Image quality has more to do with the lens you are using, and your skill as a photographer then the camera body and sensor. More expensive cameras are faster, and better in low light, but in typical light even the cheapest DSLR bodies are "pro quality."

A little over-simplified. Whether every camera has currently enough megapixels is a matter of personal opinion. Nikon goes for noise reduction with a slight sacrifice in sharpness due to internal processing. Canon goes for sharpness and resolution but with the result of more noise.

Looking at the same image side by side taken with different cameras under controlled conditions with different megapixels shows that the one with more megapixels shows greater detail and texture. To some photographers that difference is important. To others it is irrelevant. It depends on the nature of the subjects you are shooting.

The lens is AS important, not more important than the megapixels. A kit lens on a high megapixel camera will be limited in resolution. A high megapixel camera requires a quality lens to resolve the megapixels that are possible from the sensor.

As for low light, there is little difference in the quality of comparable DSLRS when shooting at high ISO numbers as you look at the resultant images side by side.

skieur

Your like a friend of mine at College, he blames his camera for the poor contrast,that its not sharp that its this and that. And it annoys me beyond belief. He bought 3 camera body's since we started college,and before that he had 6 pos's. I've used his Canon a couple of times for proof that its not the camera and his is excuse,as allways "it seems to be working fine today" im curious how this boy got into college. Buying new camera's doesent improve your Photography. you should prehaps learn how to use the camera first before buying a new one,or a new Brand as a matter of fact. Your waisting your money,and while it is your money to waist, you should atleast waist it on something like new lenses for one of the 2 you already have. Guarented you'll notice better quility upgrading from the kit lenses you have. Even a Canon 50mm/1.8 will improve quality!

Edit: My appologies for the Rant, I think i just see too many of these threads and hearing it daily :p

you really dont need bigger than 12 mp unless you want poster size prints. what is most important for a good image is you sensor size and glass quality. nikon D700 would be your best bet ;)

I routinely get fine 20 x 30 inch prints just off of an 8 MP setting.

It's a nice cross between file quality and load speed.

Read alot and learn to use the camera and use it till you can get nothing else out of it them move up to bigger and better things. Tons of books and websites you can learn from!

:thumbup: +1 to John_Mc

I am barely above amateur but I couldn't agree with this post more ... A quick google will show you just what that camera is capable of

This is my camera the XSi a couple steps down and couple of years older than your T2i

Pride%20Umbrellas_with%20shadow.jpg

Here is one with your camera

IMG_8064.JPG

Here's a canon site that is designed to educate and inspire noobies ... it has specific tutorials for your camera

Canon Digital Learning Center

Please don't blame your crappy photos on your bad ass camera... that being said ... I think you should go buy a more expensive Nikkon, our crappy economy needs every little boost it can get.

Edit: My appologies for the Rant, I think i just see too many of these threads and hearing it daily :p

These threads usually appear after Christmas ...
Wonder why?? :er:

You need to take the money you saved for a new camera, and invest in photography lessons. Your camera is not the cause of your subpar photo, it's the lack of knowledge.

No offense. It is what it is. . . .

You need to take the money you saved for a new camera, and invest in photography lessons. Your camera is not the cause of your subpar photo, it's the lack of knowledge.

No offense. It is what it is. . . .

Seconded.

You need to crack open your manual then take your camera out and shoot everything in sight until you get the results you want.

"Just because it's digital........." blah, blah, blah

Most reactions

Back