What camera should I get? (first high budged camera)

Chris1706

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey there,

I am currently looking to buy my first more expensive camera. I didnt want a DSLR, cause I want to be able to carry it around easily, but still I want good quality.

The first question I have is, would you recommend more a good point and shoot camera, like the sony rx100 m3 or a mirrorless camera? In which condition these kind of cameras are better, because I have browsed a lot in the internet and found a lot of reviews/comparisons between the sony rx100m3 and some mirrorless cameras, where the sony won.

The second question: what mirrorless camera would you recommend? I have a budget of max 1k and it's hard for me to deside, because there are a lot of cameras which are in the same price range.

Thanks a lot for your advice
Chris

You should say your type of photography

The one that feels best in your hands.

Well I will go on bigger trips in the next years, and I want to be able to make beautiful landscape and also animal pictures. But I will also use the camera to make some daily shots on the streets and third im into dance-sport, where quite fast movements happen. Cant really tell my type of photography

I was going to suggest a m4/3 system until you said fast moving sports. Very few mirrorless excel here, and within your budget there is no great m4/3 that will track moving subjects well.

The Sony a6000 is a camera that would be worth looking into. I wouldn't recommend a p+s as a choice over interchangeable lens cameras as a flexible option

I was going to suggest a m4/3 system until you said fast moving sports. Very few mirrorless excel here, and within your budget there is no great m4/3 that will track moving subjects well.

The Sony a6000 is a camera that would be worth looking into. I wouldn't recommend a p+s as a choice over interchangeable lens cameras as a flexible option

I shoot action faster than dance with my m4/3 cameras.

PA280058.jpg

P4110018.jpg

Single shot auto focus.

Ron, I knew these type photos would be quoted as I was here before. Of course the m4/3 can take fast action shots, but my point is tracking is poor with them. Any camera can take a shot of fast action, but tracking is a different story.

My EM5 is my favorite camera, if it tracked good it would be perfect for me,
but continues focus is more miss than hit

Hey there. Okay, well the sports thing is definetly not on the top of my priorities. Could you suggest some m4/3 cameras, so I have a option to choose between? And do you know if there are going to come some new modles on the market until july which are worth waiting?

I'd highly recommend the original OMD EM5, weather sealed, fast, great viewfinder, fab image quality, lovely jpegs, amazingly customizable and also going cheap now because it has a newer model to replace it.

Okay and what is the difference between the em5 and the em10? because currently the cost pretty much the same. And do you have experience with the Panasonic GM5? the formfaktor seams really nice with this one

Is Mr. Google off today?

Hey there,

I am currently looking to buy my first more expensive camera. I didnt want a DSLR, cause I want to be able to carry it around easily, but still I want good quality.

The first question I have is, would you recommend more a good point and shoot camera, like the sony rx100 m3 or a mirrorless camera? In which condition these kind of cameras are better, because I have browsed a lot in the internet and found a lot of reviews/comparisons between the sony rx100m3 and some mirrorless cameras, where the sony won.

The second question: what mirrorless camera would you recommend? I have a budget of max 1k and it's hard for me to deside, because there are a lot of cameras which are in the same price range.

Thanks a lot for your advice
Chris

I went through this looking at mirrorless as I wanted something smaller and lighter but I didn't want to sacrifice image quality and I wanted weathersealing. I looked at the em5, em10 and em1. while the em1 was significantly more expensive, I liked the way it felt while holding it, I liked the button layout and options and it felt like it would give me what I wanted when I didn't want to carry around the canon 6d. (not to say the image quality is on par, but for the weight and size, it's good enough for me)

I'd say given your budget, the em5 or em10 would both be good choices. I looked at the sony a6000 but didn't like the lens options.

I have FF dSLR's, APS-C mirrorless and MFT mirrorless cameras. My camera of choice is the Fuji APS-C mirrorless. I found it a good compromise between the large body of a FF and the small sensor of the MFT. The EM1 and XT1 are similar in size, the Fuji lenses, while much smaller than the equivalent FF lenses are larger than the equal MFT lens. I found the EVF of the XT1 to be significantly better the the EVF of the EM1. I've owned EM5's and I find the handling of the EM1 to be superior to the EM5. If you do any low light photography, the Fuji kicks butt ... but the EM5/EM1 has this incredible IBIS which adds IS to any lens. Fuji lens are all wonderful. At a minimum, my Fuji lenses are equal to my 'L' lenses. For me, the bottom line is not feel, or looks, or size ... but the image (okay ... maybe looks, lol). I really like the image quality of what Fuji delivers over MFT. The IQ differences between Canon FF and Fuji APS-C is insignificant for what I shoot and how I shoot.

Unfortunately, the XT1 and EM1 are above your budget. But check out the Fuji X-E2. It uses the same sensor and lenses as the XT1, just more of a rangefinder look, smaller EVF, no weather sealing,et al.

I suggest you look at refurbed XT1's or EM1's.

The Fujifilm cameras are really good, as stated above. The Fujifilm XE-2 is about $600 and that leaves $400 for lenses.

There's also the Sony A7, which just now got a price drop to $1000. Of course, this isn't including a lens, however, the Sony is a full frame camera vs. Fujifilm's APS-C sensor if that makes any difference.

Most reactions

Back