What camera should I get?

Aetas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there,

Amn't sure where to post this, but feel free to move this thread in an appropriate area, if possible and thank you.

I'm looking for some advice as I'm unsure which one to get. I prefer the small, pocked-sized, thin camera one, that provides excellent high quality images and would like to record some videos as well.

I came across this. What do you think? This may be an excellent choice so far.

Thanks for any help!

Detailed Specifications
WEIGHTS & MEASUREMENTS
Dimensions (approx.) W x H x D: 3 3/4" x 2 3/8" x 21/32" (95.0mm x 58.4mm x 16.4mm)
Weight Approx. 5.2oz. (147g) - With battery and Memory Stick media.
CONVENIENCE
Burst Mode Max 100 shots at approx. 1.8 fps
Colour Mode(s) Normal / Vivid / Sepia / B&W
Date/Time Stamp Available in the included PMB software.
Media/Battery Indicator Yes/Yes
Memory Stick PRO™ Media Compatibility Tested to support up to 16GB Memory Stick DUO PRO media capacity; does not support Access Control security function.
Red-Eye Reduction Auto / On / Off
Self Timer Yes (10 seconds, 2 seconds, Off)
Still Image Mode(s) Normal (JPEG) / Burst (JPEG) / Bracketing (JPEG) - AE(Plus / Minus 0.3EV / 0.7EV / 1.0EV)
White Balance Auto / Daylight / Cloudy / Fluorescent 1 (White Fluorescent Lighting) / Fluorescent 2 (Natural White Fluorescent Lighting) / Fluorescent 3 (Day White Fluorescent Lighting) / Incandescent / Flash / Underwater White Balance Mode - Auto, Underwater 1, Underwater 2, Flash
HARDWARE
LCD 3.5" Xtra Fine LCD 921,600 pixels
Lens Construction 12 elements in 10 groups(including 4 aspheric elements,1 prism)
Lens Type Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar®
Microphone/ Speaker Stereo / Mono
Viewfinder No
POWER
Battery Capacity 3.6V / 2.4wh(680mAh)
Battery Type LITHIUM ION / InfoLITHIUM D type 3.6V
GENERAL
Imaging Device 1/2.3 type(7.79mm) Super HAD CCD
Megapixel 12.1 Megapixels
CONVENIENCE FEATURES
AF Illuminator Light Auto / Off
In-Camera Editing Trimming / Red Eye Correction / Soft Focus / Partial Color / Fisheye Lens / Cross Filter / Retro / Radial Blur / Unsharp Masking / Happy Face
Movie Mode(s) 1280 x 720(Fine) (Approx.30fps, Progressive) / 1280 x 720(Standard) (Approx.30fps, Progressive) / 640(Fine) (VX Fine, 640 x 480, Approx.30fps)
Multi-Pattern Measuring Yes
PictBridge Compatible Single / Select / Date / Event / Favorites / Folder
Power Save Mode Yes (after approx. 3 min. of inactivity)
Real Imaging Processor™ Technology BIONZ
Scene Mode(s) Intelligent Auto / Easy Shooting / Program Auto / Movie (Auto Adjustment / High Sensitivity / Underwater) / Scenes (High Sensitivity / Twilight / Twilight Portrait / Portrait / Landscape / Beach / Snow / Fireworks / Hi-speed Shutter / Underwater / Gourmet)
Super SteadyShot® optical image stabilization Yes
OPTICS/ LENS
35mm Equivalent Still shots: 35-140mm / Movie 16:9: 38-152mm / Movie 4:3 :46-184mm
Aperture Range Auto(F3.5-F10) / Program Auto(F3.5-F10)
Digital Zoom Smart Zoom / Precision Digital Zoom / Off
Exposure Compensation Plus / Minus 2.0EV, 1 / 3EV step
Face Detection Detects up to 8 Faces - with Touch Priority / Auto Priority / Child Priority / Adult Priority
Filter Diameter No
Focal Length 6.18-24.7mm
Focus 9 points / Center Weighted AF / Spot AF / Flexible Spot AF (touch) / Semi Manual (.5m / 1.0m / 3.0m / 7.0m / unlimited distance)
ISO Auto / 80 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200
Macro Mode Auto Macro / Macro On / Close Focus Enabled
Optical Zoom 4x
Shutter Speed Auto(2" - 1/1,000) / Program Auto(1" - 1/1,000)
Total Zoom Approximately 8x
SOFTWARE
Operating System Compatibility Microsoft® 2000 Professional, XP Home and Professional; Macintosh® OS 9.1/9.2/OS X (10.1-10.5)
Supplied Software Picture Motion Browser Vers 4.2.02 + USB Driver (Not supported by Macintosh® Operating Systems)
OPERATING CONDITIONS
Flash Effective Range ISO Auto: Approx.0.08-Approx.2.9m (Approx.0.26' - Approx.9.51') (W) / Approx.0.5 - Approx.2.3m (Approx.1.64' - Approx.7.55') (T), ISO3200: up to Approx.5.9m (Approx.19.4') (W) / Approx.4.5m (Approx.14.8')(T)
Flash Mode(s) Auto / Flash On / Slow Syncro / Flash Off
INPUTS & OUTPUTS
Accessory Terminal Multi connector and stand
Audio/Video Output(s) Yes via Mutli-Use Connector
HD Output Yes (1080i)
USB Port(s) Yes - USB2.0 Hi-Speed

Overview:

12.1 Megapixel Super HAD™ CCD Image Sensor:
A powerful 12.1 megapixel 1/2.3” Super HAD™ CCD image sensor helps you capture gorgeous images with superb contrast and clarity down to the finest detail. With 12.1 megapixels, you can create stunning, photo-quality prints up to A3+ (13x19”) size, or crop your images and still come away with high resolution shots.

Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® Lens with 4x Optical Zoom:
The professional-quality Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® 4x optical zoom lens brings distant subjects closer for great outdoor, sports, and travel photos.

3.5" Xtra Fine LCD™ Touch-Screen Display:
Compose images on a dazzling 3.5" LCD display and use the touch screen to navigate menus, specify focus points, and more. When you've finished shooting, show off your images with photo-like quality and spectacular clarity. Featuring 921K pixels, the ultra-bright, high-contrast LCD screen with a wide viewing angle is among the highest resolution screens available on a compact digital camera, and displays your images with astonishing visual clarity.

BIONZ™ image processor:
The BIONZ™ image processor delivers the high resolution and fast performance you expect from a Sony® digital camera.

Ultra-slim design:
The DSC-T900 packs a lot of performance into an ultra-slim design. Measuring just over 5/8” (16.3mm), the DSC-T900 is slim enough to slip into a pocket, so you can take it with you wherever you go.

Intelligent Auto Mode:
Unlike traditional auto mode, Intelligent Auto (iAuto) thinks for you, recognizing scenes, lighting conditions, faces, and adjusts settings resulting clear images, faces with natural skin tone and less blur. Take advantage of all the technology without leaving Auto mode. Take a picture from a kid on the playground, to landscape shots, to a beautiful flower or an indoor birthday party. All clear images without leaving auto mode.

HD Movie:
Capture more of your memories in high definition (720p) video. Record HD movies in 720p high definition MPEG4 format with stereo sound allowing for stunning large-screen home movie playback. Record up to 29 min in 720p format (or up to 2GB) per movie.

Intelligent Scene Recognition:
Intelligent Scene Recognition (iSCN) Mode automatically detects eight different types of scenes conditions (Backlight, Backlight Portrait, Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Twilight using a Tripod, Portrait, Landscape, and Macro) and within 1/30th of a second selects the appropriate camera settings:. iSCN has 2 modes: Auto and Advanced. In Auto Mode, the camera takes a single shot using the optimal settings. In Advance Mode, the camera takes a photo with the standard automatic settings and, in difficult lighting (low light or back light) immediately takes a second photo with optimized setting so you can choose which to keep.

Face Detection technology:
Face Detection technology detects up to eight individual faces and controls flash, focus, exposure, and white balance to deliver accurate, natural skin tones with reduced red-eye. It can also give priority to children or adults. Newly added Face Motion Detection adjusts ISO sensitivity and accelerates the shutter speed when facial movement is detected, reducing blur in the subjects face.

Anti-blink Function:
It's frustrating to think you've captured that perfect shot, only to review it later and discover one of your subjects blinked just as you pressed the shutter. The Anti-blink function works to help counter blinking and squinting. When the camera is set to Soft Snap, the Anti-blink function captures two images, recording only the photo with less squinting. If a blink is detected in other shooting modes, a warning will be displayed after you take the shot.

Red-eye Reductions:
Red-eye Reduction helps reduce common red-eye problems.

Smile Shutter™ Technology:
The popular Smile Shutter™ technology automatically detects and captures a smiling face. Simply activate by pressing the Smile Shutter™ button and the camera will capture a smile the moment it happens. You can also select subject priority (Adult or Child Priority or touch subject on screen) and indicate the degree of Smile Detection Sensitivity to high (small smile), medium (laugh) or low (grin). Great substitute of self timer, smile once all are ready and the camera will capture the smile.

Smile Shutter™ Technology:
The combination of Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization and High ISO sensitivity helps compensate for shaky hands, minimizes blur, and allows flash-free shooting to preserve the mood.

Optical SteadyShot™ Image Stabilization:
Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization uses a built-in gyro sensor to detect camera shake and automatically shifts the lens to help prevent blur without sacrificing image quality.

High Sensitivity Mode (ISO 3200):
High ISO allows for faster shutter speed, so you can take photos indoors or in low light without the need for a flash. In addition to High Sensitivity Mode (ISO), you can select up to eight ISO settings (Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200) when shooting in Program Auto Mode to adjust sensitivity to your shooting conditions.

Dynamic Range Optimizer Standard and Plus:
Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) Standard and Plus uses a sophisticated algorithm to determine the best exposure and contrast settings for almost any shooting environment. The result is more natural images with clearer details that more closely match what your naked eye sees. DRO is particularly effective when shooting backlit portraits or any scene with a dramatic contrast between background and foreground lighting. DRO Plus allows for even greater optimization by analyzing each region of an image and performing additional image processing.

Convenient Photo Modes:
Choose from 14 convenient photo modes to quickly adjust for specific shooting conditions. Photo modes include Auto, Program Auto, Easy Shooting, and Scene Selection such as High Speed, High Sensitivity, Landscape, Portrait, Twilight Portrait, Twilight, Beach, Snow, Fireworks, Underwater and Gourmet Mode. Gourmet Mode lets you capture mouth-watering culinary creations with all the color and clarity of images you see in gourmet magazines.

9-Point Auto Focus:
Because an off-centered subject can make your shot more interesting, a 9-point auto focus system measures nine precision focus points, giving you greater creative freedom to compose your images.

Burst Mode:
You can fire up to 100 shots at approximately 0.57 second intervals (at any resolution; VGA to high resolution mode. Results may vary based on settings and Memory Stick™ media being used).

Function Guide:
This beginner-friendly optional function helps navigate through the various functions and settings displaying the description of chosen functions or settings on the LCD screen.

Easy Shooting Mode:
With Easy Shooting Mode, even beginners can take great photos. In Easy Shooting Mode, easy-to-understand basic instructions are displayed on the LCD screen and the camera switches to all automatic settings with iSCN so you can just take the photo without worrying about settings.

16:9 High Resolution Mode:
Using the 16:9 High Resolution Mode, you can record high resolution images in the 16:9 aspect ratio favored by HDTVs. This setting is ideal if you plan to view your images on a compatible HDTV and invite friends and family members over for a slideshow.

Memory Stick Duo™ Media Convenience:
The Cyber-shot® DSC-T900 camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo™ media (sold separately).

Stamina® Battery Power:
Provides extended battery life and shooting capacity when using a fully-charged lithium-ion battery. The included battery supports up to 200 shots.

Easy Image Management:
Easy Image Management takes the hassle out of sorting through large volumes of image data, so you can quickly select and view your desired photos. Photos can be browsed in four convenient ways: by Standard Folder view, Date view, Event view, and Favorites showing only user-selected images. You can also harness the power of Face Detection technology to filter by face type (choices include All People, Children, Infants, and Smiles).

HDTV Compatibility:
View your photos and movies in high definition on your Sony® BRAVIA® or similar compatible HDTV using the supplied multi-output stand with HDMI™ connectivity (HDMI™ cable sold separately).

BRAVIA® Sync™:
When connected to a BRAVIA® Sync™ enabled BRAVIA® HDTV via HDMI™ output on the supplied multi-output stand (HDMI™ cable required, sold separately), the Cyber-shot® playback screen will automatically display, and you can control camera playback using your BRAVIA® HDTV remote control. Just press the Sync button on the remote to display a dedicated menu. Such easy operation makes viewing your photos and videos on a large-screen TV even more enjoyable.

PhotoTV HD:
Bring your photos to life and enjoy highly detailed, high definition images with PhotoTV HD-capable Sony® BRAVIA® HDTVs. PhotoTV HD fine tunes settings on your HDTV, such as sharpness, gradation, and color to display images that look more like actual printed photos.

Wide Zoom display:
To use the entire image area of the compatible HDTV screen (sold separately), Wide Zoom display automatically expands standard 4:3 and 3:2 images to 16:9.

PHOTOMUSIC feature:
PHOTOMUSIC combines images with music to produce fun and entertaining slide shows. The four standard visual effects (Simple, Nostalgic, Active and Stylish). Select from four pre-loaded tracks on camera or transfer your own from your compatible PC (sold separately).

In-Camera Retouching Tools:
Retouch and enhance your pictures on the go with 10 in-camera editing functions: Trimming, Red-Eye Correction, Soft Focus, Partial Color, Fisheye Lens, Cross Filter, Radial Blur, Retro, Happy Face and Unsharp Masking effects.

Creative Painting Tools:
Let your imagination run wild. Paint Function allows you to have fun with your pictures writing and drawing on them using Paint Pen (stylus), and/or decorating using any of the preloaded 30 stamps and 15 types of picture frames. Painted images are saved separately on your Memory Stick® media.

Multi-purpose Resize function:
The Multi-purpose Resize function lets you change the aspect ratio of an image right in the camera, so you can adjust images as necessary, whether you want to display them on a compatible HDTV5, or e-mail them / upload them to a blog.

Picture Motion Browser ver. 4.2.02:
Sony® PMB (Picture Motion Browser ) PC software provides a simple, easy-to-use way to transfer video and still images to your PC, as well as sort, edit, and output to data disc and the Web (compatible PC with internet connection required). Finding your images with PMB is easy with Calendar view and Face Search. Face Search allows you to filter by faces (one or many) and also a specific person’s face. Share images and videos on popular sharing sites with Media Services function.

There us way to much information here, I don't even know what camera you are talking about.

Oh, I think it's really new.

Sony DSCT900B Cyber-shot Digital Camera Black

Snapping off premium quality photos is effortless with the 12.1-megapixel DSC-T900 Cyber-shot® digital camera. Engineered to take the guesswork out of choosing the right mode, the T900 features iAuto mode that automatically adjusts settings for the best pictures in almost any environment. Its distinctive, svelte design measures just under 5/8" thin, yet it boasts more than enough advanced technology inside. For easy framing and viewing of your shots, there's a dazzling 3.5" touch screen with crisp resolution for displaying sharp details. You can even record HD video clips (720p) and play them back on your compatible HDTV via HDMI™ output with stereo sound. Available in silver, black, red and bronze.

Thanks for your input. While it may be a little expensive, I think it definitely seems worthy to buy.

I guess I can give it a try, and if unhappy, I can always bring it back, right? So...

Aetas - You sound like a sales rep for this camera. You ask " What camera should I get?" But you offer no options and you list every spec about this particular one. If you have researched enough to know all these specs and their meanings why do you need our help? Maybe you thread title should have been "I'm getting this camera!"

yeah whats with posting the whole page of information?

I hear its a decent point and shoot camera, a bit on the expensive side.
If its what you want, get it. Its a P&S.

I agree with mike

my girlfriend got this one and its good

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B0011ZCDKS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239378212&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A590IS 8MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics[/ame]

ACK... not for the beyond the basics section!
Please take the time to read the descriptions for each section to know where to post. ;) :D

@ DRoberts, that's funny if you think I'm a sales rep, because all I'm doing is just asking questions about it. The reason I posted specs about camera because I was wondering if there may be some flaws or wrongs in it. I've never had a compact camera in my life. I'm asking thoughts 4 it.

@ bigtwinky - thanks!

@ Mike_E - This looks good. Seems a bit old, though. I'm not looking for a thick camera.

@ bdavis - Thanks for your post, you check out the statement above.

@ JerryPH - Sorry dude, TMI to read. :D

@ JerryPH - Sorry dude, TMI to read. :D

Then let me hold your hand and show you:

Beyond the Basics Have you been at photography for awhile? This is the forum for more advanced discussion of photography, such as exposure methods, lighting, and other techniques and controls!

Please note the lack of description concerning new camera purchases. ;)
Put it int the beginners or products section puh-leeze! For someone that posts 4 screens of useless info and then tells me that the above is too much information for them to read... I find that rather ironic.

For someone that posts 4 screens of useless info and then tells me that the above is too much information for them to read... I find that rather ironic.
Very ironic! Four screens? It took me 14 scrolls on the mouse wheel to get through the post, and in the end, no where did it state what camera it was or even the manufacturer.

Most reactions

Back