What camera to buy?

Kawi_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, this is my first post. I'm looking to buy my first camera. I want a SLR film camera. I'm rebelling against the digital age, so no digital. Don't know a lot about photography but I've wanted to start taking pics for a long time so now I'm going to stop putting it off and just get a camera and start shooting. Problem is, I don't know what to get. I'm sure these questions are already answered on here somewhere but I can't seem to find them. So anyway, whats a good camera for a beginner? I've been reading reviews and looking around at cameras for sale on the internet. I almost bought a Canon EOS Rebel XS then I almost bought an Olympus OM4. These are both highly rated cameras but I don't really know what I'm doing. The Olympus seems awfully nice. Anybody have any advice for the newest of newbies? I could probably afford up to $500 but would like to keep it closer to $350. Cheaper is better so I'm looking at used equipment. But then I thought since I don't know a whole lot it would be easy for me to buy flawed gear. The more I look into it the more I realize how much I don't know. So anyway, I'd listen to any advice. Thanks in advance.
Kawi_T aka Tom.

That's a tough question to answer. The only one that can really answer it is you. When choosing a camera, you must keep in mind the accessories you will use in the future. Since most systems are not interchangable, your pretty much married to it. You have to answer the first few basic questions: Budget, type pf phtography, what kind of photos you want to take, image quality, etc. Going film, keep in mind the cost of processing said film and stocking said film. It will add up to more than your alotted budget. Especially starting out. You're goiing to burn through a few rolls and lots of paper!!! You might consider taking a class or two to get your feet wet or do some serious researching at Barnes & Noble and the web. I am fairly certain the majority of cameras sold today is digital. Nothing wrong with film, it's more an art-form in my opinion. I wish I could take photos with film one day. That said, there are tons of deals on eBay. I almost picked up a Canon 1 series film camera for a fraction of the original cost.

That's a tough question to answer. The only one that can really answer it is you. When choosing a camera, you must keep in mind the accessories you will use in the future. Since most systems are not interchangable, your pretty much married to it. You have to answer the first few basic questions: Budget, type pf phtography, what kind of photos you want to take, image quality, etc. Going film, keep in mind the cost of processing said film and stocking said film. It will add up to more than your alotted budget. Especially starting out. You're goiing to burn through a few rolls and lots of paper!!! You might consider taking a class or two to get your feet wet or do some serious researching at Barnes & Noble and the web. I am fairly certain the majority of cameras sold today is digital. Nothing wrong with film, it's more an art-form in my opinion. I wish I could take photos with film one day. That said, there are tons of deals on eBay. I almost picked up a Canon 1 series film camera for a fraction of the original cost.

If you really wanna try...do it...
Film is almost easier in a lot of cases, considering it's huge latitude of about 5 stops as opposed to digital's 1 or 2

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of all the extra costs involved. Unfortunately I can't sign up for any classes because of my work schedule. I really wish I could. Now I'm thinking about getting a digital. Originally I shied away from digital because I didn't think the quality of the pics was as good as real film. After researching this a bit I see that I was wrong. All I know for sure is I need to start taking some photos asap. My mom tried giving me a digital camera earlier, but I said no to it. Its a Panasonic DMC-TZ1. It looks like a piece of crap.

Give digital sensors another generation or two...say 8-12 months and the quality will be indistinguishable. The main problem is keeping the price down. Any camera will take a picture, it's up to you to make them look good. :mrgreen: You have to start somewhere. Search the other threads, you'll find tons of info on all the major brands that many members use, like and dislike. Take your time and settle on teh camera system that best suits your needs. With your budget, a DSLR is probably too expensive since lenses are separate. Look into an advanced point and shoot like the Canon G7, G9, S5 or S3. They are very capable cameras. Nikon makes similar p&s also.

So I'm an impulse buyer. I need a camera so I did a little research (very little) and went a made a purchase. I bought a Nikon D40X. I bought a kit that included lens, batteries, mem card, charger, usb stuff, etc etc etc. I upped my price range a little and just did it. It seemed like it would be a good camera for a beginner such as myself, with enough features for me to play around with and learn a thing or two. So once it arrives I'll start playing around with it and maybe post some pics if I can create anything good enough to show people. What do you all think?
Tom

So you didn't read the thread in this very forum about why not to buy a D40x? Not being insulting if you look at it as an advanced p&s camera I don't see the arguments against it being all that big of a deal.

I did read that thread. Many people don't like it, while others do. Honestly, I know next to nothing about photography. I studied engineering and have never taken an art class in my life. Now I'm feeling the lack of art in my life. Anyway, I had to stretch my budget to get this far and was not prepared to go further. I'm sure I'm far from being limited by any drawbacks of this machine. If that day ever comes I will have gone very far and will look into a new camera at that time. I'm just dying to get started. Like I said, impulse buy, with all the related pros and cons of that sort of decision. wish me luck.
Tom

And if you read a little further, you would see why to avoid those bundle deals.

I did read that thread. Many people don't like it, while others do. Honestly, I know next to nothing about photography. I studied engineering and have never taken an art class in my life. Now I'm feeling the lack of art in my life. Anyway, I had to stretch my budget to get this far and was not prepared to go further. I'm sure I'm far from being limited by any drawbacks of this machine. If that day ever comes I will have gone very far and will look into a new camera at that time. I'm just dying to get started. Like I said, impulse buy, with all the related pros and cons of that sort of decision. wish me luck.
Tom

Good luck :) ... whatever the pros and cons of buying this or not buying that, you've made a decision and you have a camera... enjoy using it. At some point you may find it has limitations; that point may be sooner or later. But you will reach that point when you reach it; you don't yet have a problem just because everyone says you do. Personally I wouldn't have got a D40, but it may be ideal for you... I think you have the right philosophy here. Of course you could spend time worrying about what else you could have got with your money, but IMO at this stage it's more important that you just enjoy getting started with photography. So good luck and have fun :)

I read a great article the other day about buying cameras. The camera doesn't make the picture art the photographer does. The job of the equipment is to get out of the way of the photographer and allow him to take the picture he sees. Extra features and more lenses don't make you a better photographer that picture you see in the back of your head when you're looking at a scene make you a photographer with a background in engineering the technical stuff will be trivial to learn take lots of photos to get better at composition and seeing the art in the situation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back