What camera to get, advanced amateur

Tomnomnom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I recently lost my Rebel XT at a holiday party and need to find a replacement for it. I had had it for about 3 years and loved the thing to death.

Here's my situation: My main interest is sports photography (skateboarding, biking, etc...) but I also work as a photographer for Lehigh University, taking on jobs at conferences, various events, and for individual professors. I need to get a camera so that I can keep part of my job once I return in a week and a half.

Problem is, it's hard to find something that can shoot at a high rate and high light sensitivity that doesn't cost thousands of dollars. I know a good deal about Canon models, but I do not know much about Nikon or other brands. I've been researching a bunch of models for some time now, so I know all their specs and such but I'm trying to figure out the best combined package for myself that can meet my needs while also not destroying my budget. Here are the two main options I'm looking at right now.

My first choice is to scoop up a used 1d Mark II off KEH or Ebay (I didn't see any on here) for around 700 to 800. The 8.5 fps rate is highly attractive, and I have handled this camera in the past and loved it. However, the camera is usually sold as a body only, which means I will be looking at a few hundred extra for a lens and a flash. Also, the expandable 3200 ISO isn't the best compared to other newer models (I was thinking I could pick up a 50mm 1.4 to counteract that). And the 8 megapixel isn't much of an improvement above my Rebel XT (even though it's not really that important, it would be nice to have something that could fulfill any future printing desires).

I'm also looking at getting a used T1i. The low fps isn't very appealing but the lower price to get up and running is definitely appealing. I would prefer a camera with a lower crop factor but hey, beggers can't be choosers. The added video isn't that big of a draw (I'm VP of our university's video club and we just got an NEX-VG10), but the low cost for a camera with onboard flash would let me get a better quality lens.

What do you guys think? I'm looking to spend at most 1k, though less is always more appealing. I'm definitely open to suggestions and thoughts, let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I got my 40D for $550 used on craigslist. It doesn't do so well at high ISO, but not bad for a crop sensor. Other than that, I love it and certainly recommend it if it suits your needs. I don't think it'd be beneficial to buy a full frame body and only have $200 left over for a crappy.... I mean, inexpensive lens.

@bazooka
I agree, which is why I didn't list the 5d Mk1 or any other full frame sensor. I found a few on craigslist in the NYC region but realize that I wouldn't have enough money to invest in exceptional lenses that wouldn't be insanely soft towards the edges.

However, the 1.3x of the 1d Mk II is appealing, as I am interested in sports photography that requires that I be up close to the subject (skateboarding, snowboarding, bmx, and the like). I had run into problems in the past where my 1.6x XT just couldn't handle certain positions. As I have been getting job offers by various people in town, including local shops, the crop factor becomes an issue. Of course, when taken into consideration with my other requirements, it becomes an issue that must be weighted, which is why I am coming for advice.

Also, I believe the 40d only goes up to about 800 on the ISO setting, which is too low for my needs (I was struggling with 1600 on my XT). I can't believe people don't like having flashes fly in their faces when they are listening to a speaker...sigh

Thanks for the reply.

1DMkII is what I would get if I was shooting Canon on a budget. You'll still need to save up for a 70-200 2.8 L though.

Ok cool, few more questions regarding the camera (specifically 1d MkII) and buying.

So the body does not come with an onboard flash, and being that I just started getting into areas where a speedlight or other attached flash is necessary, I do not know what to do. I was loaned a D700 for a job once with a Nikon flash (lottery, let's go) and it was incredible, but I would not know how to go about choosing a flash that's right for me. I loved using the bounce flash but do not know where quality and price are best balanced. Anyone have suggestions, specifically if I choose to get a 1d MkII?

Also, two of the 1d MkIIs on KEH were recently bought, leaving only the one for $525 with a "BGN" rating. The rating system description seems a bit lacking, as it mentions that it could have a bunch of blemishes but they shouldn't interfere with performance. Personally, I do not care if the camera is beat to hell, as long as the shutter works well and the screen is crisp (I don't mind chipped paint and what not). Has anyone purchased a camera body off KEH with a BGN rating? Can you basically expect a quality product with this rating? I am not yet ready to make a purchase, but I'm trying to explore all my options (will be hunting on craigslist for the next few weeks).

Again, thanks for the replies.

Tomnomnom,

I went the same route when faced with a similar decision. I was shooting with a 20D, switched to a 5D, and later wanted to get back to shooting sports so I chose a used 1D II from B&H. The first thing I noticed was that the image quality was a perceptible upgrade to the 20D, and I did not expect the competent high ISO performance. While the camera is at its best shooting sports in good light, I was still able to shoot indoors with my 80-200 at ISO 1000 in environments of awful or erratic light such as school plays. While the photo output was nothing Pulitzer-quality, the final images were more than usable when scaled down for Web use which is where 100% of my images reside.

zoom_photo114719_879236.jpg

This was at ISO 800, where there is still little grain, but I was bouncing between 800-1000 all night with little difference between the two. I had never shot a school play before so I received a crash course in how quickly the light conditions change depending upon the scene, and I was honestly impressed with how well the 1D II performed up to ISO 1600. I do not think my pictures from this night would have been nearly as good with my old 20D as the larger sensor allows for more data/definition/etc, and I suspect that you will find the the resulting image quality upgrade surprising over the XT - At least I did when coming from a camera with a similar sensor.

Outside, with a generous amount of available light, the camera is magnificent at capturing action. The 8 fps allows me to get shots that were tough with the 20D, and ultimately made me a better sports photographer as I ran the gamut from first relying on the motor drive to get the shots I hoped for, to ultimately being able to better plan and anticipate in order to get the shot I need.

If you plan to shoot sports, you will need either an older 80-200 f/2.8L or the 70-200 f/4L unless you already have something better. As stated 70-200 f/2.8L would be ideal. And perhaps some nice larger-sized CF cards if you plan to shoot sports in RAW as 8 fps fills them up quickly. And as far as a flash goes, it's no different from any other camera, so if money is a concern you may want to save for a 430ex until you can jump to a 580EXII. I haven't used my flash much since geting my 5DII but it's nice to know I have it when things get super dark.

If I can answer any questions about the camera, do not hesitate to ask.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back