what camera to get to take great concert pictures without flash?

Spacepanic02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm pretty much a newbie looking for a decent digital camera (affordable)...I have a Kodak Easyshare CD33 and really want to upgrade. I have been looking at the Sony Cybershot p200 and the S600 (b/c of the high ISO)...The reason for the upgrade is b/c my Kodak does not really take good concert pictures without flash..I am looking for a camera that will do just that..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!
-Michelle

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know all that much about all the different point & shoot digi-cams. Most of them are pretty similar...just with different features & buttons.

What I do know, is that 99.9% of digi-cams have a small sensor (the chip that actually records the light). Small sensors do not perform well in low light...or at high ISO settings (which is usually 400 for those cameras).

To get good shots at a concert with a digital camera, I would recommend a digital SLR camera. (DSLR) However, they are not cheap. They start around $600 for the cheapest ones.

They are much better than a digi-cam though. Their sensors are much bigger, which means better image quality and less noise at higher ISO settings. Many of them can go as high as ISO 1600, and still look better than a digi-cam at 400.

Another aspect of this is the lens. A better lens will help to get better shots. With a Digi-cam...you are stuck with the lens that is built into the camera...and unless you spend $800, the lenses are not great. With a DSLR, the lenses are interchangeable...so you can buy a more suitable lens...but of course, lenses are not cheap either.

How much is "affordable" to you? And how much are you willing to spend to get good quality concert shots?

The question isnt really the camera per sie.. Its the lens. The larger the glass, the better the exposure and brighter as well. However!!!
IF, and I say a really BIG IF they even allow the camera into the concert, you also have to think about distance from stage, size of the performance area, how much lighting is already in there, and most importantly, making sure you can even get a good shot at the performers. Look at the various cameras available, and if need be, go used to get one cheaper.
As stated above, your best bet is going with a DSLR. But if you dont have that kind of money, seriously look into a used Cyber shot. It has a large enough lens, long enough focal length, and tons of features for the money. Good luck.

Spacepanic02 said:
Hi,
I'm pretty much a newbie looking for a decent digital camera (affordable)...I have a Kodak Easyshare CD33 and really want to upgrade. I have been looking at the Sony Cybershot p200 and the S600 (b/c of the high ISO)...The reason for the upgrade is b/c my Kodak does not really take good concert pictures without flash..I am looking for a camera that will do just that..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!
-Michelle
i dont really trust Sony cameras for advance photography as my DSC-T5 could not fare very well...

anyway u should consider the Sony Exilim EX-S600...it got the High sentivity Best Shot aka Mode which allow u to take photo w/o flash like in concerts.....

If im right its at the middle of Point-and-Shoot camera and Advance SLR....

if u want to know the spec(no so accurate however)
The fastest shutter speed i managed by BS is 1/1000 with DSP off and quick shutter on and slowest 4 second with quick shutter off..however other than the 2 setting the BS will configure other settings...
fastest using "Sports" and slowest "Fireworks"

4 sec require dark places like condo with ppl's rooms lighted...so u can either cover the lens so it be dark and press half way down so it lock at 4 sec and then press the rest down to take photo...otherwise u can use "Night Scene Portrait" to lock it at 2 sec...however the first one is easier

Most reactions

Back