What camera to get?

Timberline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like some help on what camera to get. I need a professional camera by Tuesday to take photo's of soy based metalworking fluids. It needs to be able to take a fast photo of the oils streaming out of the machine. It will also be in a factory, so probably not the best light. It needs to be high resolution because they will be used in prints for advertising purposes. I also would like it to be a good all-around camera, I like taking nature photos.

One limitation is I can only spend about $500-$700, so will probably go with something used. It doesn't need to be the absolute latest technology, but a good camera. All I've ever had experience with is a Cannon Powershot and a Pentax Optio

Thanks, Christopher

I think you are screwed.

High resolution images, pro camera, can handle high / clean ISO ... all for $700? You realise you also need high end lenses if you want to do big ad prints? the lens alone will run you over $1000.

My suggestion is to take the $700 budget and hire a pro with the gear and more importantly, with the knowledge to do the shoot

^^^^ +1 ^^^^

Man oh man not another one of these lame threads. I hate it when people post these dumb threads, a professional camera? What is that? You talking about a D3x? a $7,000.00 body only camera? Man go buy like a D60 for $400.00 with a fast lens thats about as "pro" as you'll get and that's used for that money. These kinds of posts are ridiculous you WILL NOT find a good quality high speed high ISO camera for that price range.

Like I said go buy a D60 or something like that, used for that price and maybe a 50mm 1.8 lens and you might be under your limit.

Why not rent a camera?

Why not rent a camera?

You unfortunately cannot rent knowledge for personal use.

Local prices for rental of equipment
5D MkII = $140 for a day, $420 for a week
Canon 16-35 (thinking might be best lens for him)= $35 per day, $105 per week
Canon 50 1.4 (1.2 would be overkill IMO) = $15 per day, $45 per week.

So you are looking at $190 for a day or $570 for a week.

If the budget starts at $500, not sure they would want to spend $200 for a day.

You wont even get a good lens for that :lol: same old chestnut best one of the week gave me a good laugh :lmao:

As the others have said (some with distinctly less tact and politeness than others) your budget and time constraints make this a very difficult prospect, especially if you are after adversing quality photos at the end of things.

An entry level camera body or a slightly older midrange might fit into your budget along with a 50mm f1.8 lens (both canon and nikon make these very cheaply and they are good lenses optically speaking). However for dark indoor scenes they will be limited on their usable ISO range. Furthermore, whilst we don't know your level of photographic experience, your post gives the overall impression that you might not be that well versed in photography and that will seriously hamper your ability to get the shots you want (especially as support lighting or at the very least reflectors might well be needed indoors in dim conditions - heck for static building/indoor scenes a good tripod would be a must as well to help out).

The hardware constraints aside the other problem is user experience - if you've not even the basic experience of using an SLR you might not be able to get the shots you want in the conditions you are working in.

The end result is a hardware set up that, whilst it has great potential, might not perform well enough for your needs based on your relative (assumed) inexperience. I agree that your better options are to try to find a working pro locally and hire them in to do the shoot - at the very least they should have significantly reduced hardware limitations and also have experience needed to get the shot to the level that you need for you advertising.

Overread was being very polite, I on the other hand was not because I don't like it when people automatically assume they can get into this hobby/profession/business just like that. I feel that when people post these threads they under appreciate the aspect of this art.

what does hammering and video has to do anything with the OP thread? He clearly stated that he need it for photography and did not mention anything about video.

I think you are screwed.

High resolution images, pro camera, can handle high / clean ISO ... all for $700? You realise you also need high end lenses if you want to do big ad prints? the lens alone will run you over $1000.

My suggestion is to take the $700 budget and hire a pro with the gear and more importantly, with the knowledge to do the shoot

Dizactly! :thumbup::thumbup:

Very eloquent summary, bigtwinky!

Sorry if I offended you all. But I must ask, what's wrong with someting like a Canon EOS 50D? It come's in as a #8 in TopTenReviews.com's Pro DSLR camera of 2010. I can get one of these used on eBay for less than a $1k with a lense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back