What can I do before I start my own business?

NMLHaley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
I am hoping to start my own photography business in about 2-5 years. Right now I am just beginning and am going back to school for some classes before I make the venture. What I'm wondering is this: is there anything else I could be doing to gain experience (besides taking lots of photos)? For instance, I would love to apply for various photo jobs now but I have no professionalexperience. Is there anything I can do to make myself more attractive to perspective employers? Ideally, I see myself working for someone for a little while until I can get on my own.

Also, is it ever too soon to do an apprenticeship?

I suggest looking to apprentice with a pro photographer. It may be that you have to start by carrying bags and fetching coffee...but the point is to learn as much as you can.

Thanks, Big Mike. Is there any sort of etiquette involved in asking to be someone's apprentice or is it pretty widely understood?

As far as I know...there is no standard etiquette...just use your common sense. I don't think that the traditional roles of apprenticeship apply, it's not a matter of putting in X number of hours, for example.

You are there to learn, and it will totally depend on the photographer whether or not they are willing to take you on, whether or not they will pay you etc.

You might consider contacting a local photographer's society and posibly joining. That would be a good place to meet photographers and maybe find one that can teach you.

I take people just like you to weddings and shoots with me all the time. Just ask them! I wont do a wedding without a second shooter and alot of times the ones I use the most aren't available.. so its nice to have a list of backups. Get on those backup lists if anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back