What can I do with a Nikon D60 SLR w/AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens?

Hello this is with my canon. The lens is the same (but it is canon)
You can get the back ground unfocused without to much trouble.

I even had a great example for you but it is unavailable(hard drive disconnected). The best i could find was this.

img_0620small.jpg

What exactly are you expecting to get out of this thing??. The camera is simply a tool just like a hammer or a screwdriver. If you have nothing to build what do you need a hammer for right??. Shoot your family, friends, pets, house and, don't expect to get professional-looking results for a LONG LONG time. I have a D700 and a D70s and I haven't taken frame one for a couple weeks till my neighbor/tennant asked me to shoot a couple of head shots for her online dating profile. You might find "assignments" online, you might also take up some of the chllenges presented on this site. There is a whole section just titled "Assignments and technical challenges" Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges - The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum but again use the camera for whatever you bought it for and if you don't have a use for it mabye you should take the advice of that other poster who said they would gladly take it off your hands.

ooorrrrrrrrrr... you could throw your hands in the air, let out a big sigh, and decide you would love to just mail your camera and lens to me okinawa :) call it an early birthday gift!!

(a girl can wish right..)

Have you no shame, woman?

Hmmm... I wonder if he would send it to me.

Im about to pop out a baby, my husband is in the marine corps, we are a single income family living overseas in okinawa, i cant get a job for my life out here!! how the heck am i supposed to go out and by a dslr?! much better if someone who doesnt know what to do with theirs wants to send it to me for free :)

...no no.. apparently i have no shame.. lol

Im about to pop out a baby, my husband is in the marine corps, we are a single income family living overseas in okinawa, i cant get a job for my life out here!! how the heck am i supposed to go out and by a dslr?! much better if someone who doesnt know what to do with theirs wants to send it to me for free :)

...no no.. apparently i have no shame.. lol

B&H is an extremely ethical organization. I've been dealing with them since long before the Internet existed. Keep your eye on their used equipment department. If you find something that's affordable, don't be reluctant to ask them questions about condition, warranty (if any), etc.

How about this, I want to be able to take pictures that have a focused background and a blurred foreground and vise-versa.
The key to these types of image is the lens aperture, and the distance the camera is from the main subject.

The technique is using Depth-Of-Field (DOF) to your advantage.

At f/3.5 the DOF is very shallow. At f/16 the DOF is very deep. DOF extends about 1/3 of the way in front of your focal point and 2/3rds of the way behind your focal point.

If you want a sharply focused subject with a blurred background, you use a wide aperture opening (like f/3.5). A small aperture opening (f/16) will have most of the image in focus, fron to back.

At wide apertures (small numbers like f.3.5, f/2.8, f/1.4) the DOF can get very thin. Were you to get real close you could take a picture of someones nose and have only part of it in focus, front to back.

get "Understanding Exposure" its a great book and I guarentee 95% of the beginner questions you would ask us, will be in the book.. ALSO read your manual, then read it again.. there is, believe it or not, a great deal of info in there, to teach you how to use your camera, THEN, and maybe the most important.. just go out, and take some pictures.. thats the best way your going to learn.

soon enough your going to ask about lighting, so, my recommendation is to bookmark strobist.com and when your ready to learn about lighting click that!

All very good advice if you go to my sites in my sig you can see what I have done with my D60.

if you want people to see your pictures.. pick a few, and post them in the thread, people don't like to click links they dont know about..

Yes I know this I was making it easier for this person to see them all.................

Practice and have fun... it's a GREAT combo, just don't get frustrated and learn from your mistakes... really!

I love mine.

You can do things like this with it:

631951209_kswEv-L.jpg

632549509_nqfDK-L.jpg

632549209_WEiR8-L.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of mine...................

Tiff9.jpg

Tiff91.jpg

MHS16s.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Here's a couple I've done with my D60 with the 18-55. Looking through my flickr, I find that I use my 70-300 quite a bit, but that's only because I'm shooting distance.

3849820293_230e3f8e50_o.jpg

3773002753_d8e285d452_o.jpg

3754604495_10cf5f0d44_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back