What can I do with my kit lens?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I am sitting pretty now with my three lenses, a 50mm 1.8, a 55-200 VR and of course, the 18-55mm kit lens.

I am considering buying a wider/faster lens than the 18-55 which will make it obselete, since I ONLY use that lens at around 18-22.

So what else can I do with it, besides making it a pretty neat paperweight?

Is there a way to reverse it to do Macro? Any other neat DIY ideas?

I sold mine to buy a 18-135mm, i like being able to get a pretty nice zoom that can still get back to wide angle, unlike the 55-200mm.

I use my kit lens for quick snapshots around the house and such. But I'm guessing that you are using the prime for that.

if you're in the UK you're still in time until the 23rd of this month to get yourself a copy of Practical Photography magazine...this month was a lens special and had loads of pages about different things to be done with a kit lens...

also try their website (www.photoanswers.co.uk) there's a lot of information there

if you're in the UK you're still in time until the 23rd of this month to get yourself a copy of Practical Photography magazine...this month was a lens special and had loads of pages about different things to be done with a kit lens...

also try their website (www.photoanswers.co.uk) there's a lot of information there

Ahh cool, but im in the boring ol states! LOL

We (New Zealand) get the UK magazines in specialty magazine stores and imports from other places - I'd imagine some stores in the states import magazines?

What kind of 'uses' for kit lenses does the magazine have
? Could be worth having a look at since I have never used mine lol

it basically has like 2 page spreads for each topic like for example portrait and then landscape etc. and in each it reccomends lenses that you could use for this (including price and from different manufacturers) and also has extensive texts on tips and tricks on how you could use your standard 18-55 to do all these things effectively.

they should ship this to US also, but it probably costs like $15 compared to the 40p more than in Uk that i pay for here..

as for wozza, go to the shops and look for it, look through t and then decide if you think its worth it, being quite the beginner myself i fnd it interesting and i've learnt loads with this mag

send it to me(for free, I'd just buy one of Craigslist if I actually HAD money haha), I need 18mm again(sold my kit lens to get rid of a body faster).

Most reactions

Back