What Canon should I go for?

Helene Hasen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got the Canon 400D as a prezzy :)

But is this a propper camera (with the right lenses this is) for professional use? If so, which lenses would you recommend me to get? If not is the 40D a better buy or what should I go for?

Hope someone here can help me get visor :sexywink:

Are you a pro? Probably not...
So the 400D is more than enough.
Even if you are a really good amateur, I doubt the XTi will limit you much.

I recommend the 50mm 1.8 no matter what work you're doing...
but based on what you wanna take pictures of, there are other lenses that may help you.

The XTi is a good camera, I was looking at it before settling with a Nikon D80. The XTi is a capable body and coupled with high-quality lenses, will take high-quality images that at normal sizes should rival those of the 40D. Am I right? Someone help me out, I'm not familiar with Canon.

Just got the Canon 400D as a prezzy :)

But is this a propper camera (with the right lenses this is) for professional use? If so, which lenses would you recommend me to get? If not is the 40D a better buy or what should I go for?

Hope someone here can help me get visor :sexywink:

Helene,
What are your skills as a photographer? What are your skills using a DSLR? Some of the most accomplished photographers in the world have done gallery shows with old film pocket cameras. The camera is just a tool of the user. It is the photographer that makes a great photo.

An entry level camera like the 400D in the hands of a knowledgeable user will produce photos that will blow away any photo taken buy some newbie with a 1Ds MIII. There is virtually nothing that you can not do with the 400D that you can do with the 1Ds MIII. Some things will be harder to do, and may require additional equipment to compesate for what the MIII has built in, but for the most part you can make them do the same thing.

The two things that make a pro line body are the ruggedness built into them for everyday long hours of shooting, taking it everywhere in any weather condition and the additional features built into them to make taking that tough to get shot a bit easier.

Only you know if you have the skills to be a "Professional Photographer." The term professional photographer has lost it luster with me. Any one with a camera that can get a half way decent shot and can find someone to buy it is a "Professional Photographer." IMO it is far better to be an accomplished photographer.

As for lenses, all lenses have things that they do well and things that they really are not suited for. A 600mm lens is not the best choice for landscapes, nor is a 14mm lens the best for say sports photography. You need to base your lens buying on what you plan to shoot and you do not indicate that in your post. Here is a good resource on Canon lenses, their quality, best uses, value etc.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Default.aspx

I will say, buy the best lenses you can afford. Quality comes at a price. A great body with a poor lens will take technically poor photographs. A low end body with top quality glass can take technically excellent photographs. Camera bodies come and go, but good glass if properly cared for will last a lifetime. As your skills improve adding a second better newer body is common.

The camera body is decent enough. Better glass is always the way to go. Consider what yo want to focus on subject wise and expand from there. The stock lens should giove you a decent start until you fogure out where you want to go.
Only knock on the Xt's are the light build and tiny viewfinder. Makes manual focus a tad difficult. Shooting wildlife and nature will put a body through its paces, so ruggidness is something to consider. I pamper my equipment as much as possible, but they still take knocks here and there.

I've seen "pros" using Canon Digi-Rebels... Granted it was their secondary/backup camera but they would not have picked up that Rebel if it was not up to the task.

I suggest you use it until you outgrow it... and frankly, unless you are shooting serious sports (high shutter shooting speeds and high shutter actuation counts) or working with the camera for hours a day, you are not very likely to outgrow it soon

Thank you all for your advises. Whauw this is a great forum!

Went and bought the canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens yesterday! - And I love it!!! :heart:

Most reactions

Back