What caused rhis to my photos

psran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Yesterday one of my friends had visited my place with his 6 months old daughter and wamted me to take some pics. I was using an external flash and pics were coming pretty ok until I decided to increase the shutter speed from 1/90 to 1/350.

$DSC_2593.JPG$DSC_2594.JPG

I am feeling very embarassed and my friend was angry as I ruined such beautiful photos :meh::meh:

Your shutter speed was father then the flash. Check what the max sync speed is on your flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your shutter is too fast. Unless your flash is set for high sync speed, your shutter needs to be under 1/250. Even with a high sync speed, there are limits, but they're higher.

P.S. The second image is not ruined. Square crop. ;)

Your shutter is too fast. Unless your flash is set for high sync speed, your shutter needs to be under 1/250. Even with a high sync speed, there are limits, but they're higher.

P.S. The second image is not ruined. Square crop. ;)

I already cropped out half of the photo, but yes it is still a bit usable

How to know the Max sync speed. I am using Yongnuo 560 flash

Read the camera's manual.

Thanks, actually I had somehow missed this section in my manual. So my camera manual says its 1/200 to 30 sec.

But one question still remains, why does such thing on image actually happens (technically)

The answer to your original question - and the follow up - is that you did by not reading the manual which almost certainly explains the entire phenomenon.

But one question still remains, why does such thing on image actually happens (technically)

Thanks for helping out.

This is off-topic but if you notive, my images are looking seriously over-exposed because when using Manual settings with my manual flash I cannot use my camera light meter to decide exposure settings. So currently I am pretty much relying on trial and error. Is there some better way of knowing how much power on Flash to use before I take a photo

This is off-topic but if you notive, my images are looking seriously over-exposed because when using Manual settings with my manual flash I cannot use my camera light meter to decide exposure settings. So currently I am pretty much relying on trial and error. Is there some better way of knowing how much power on Flash to use before I take a photo
ISO = 100, shutter speed = 1/60 second. Aperture = Flash Guide Number / Distance to Subject. See your flash owner's manual to find the guide number.

The answer to your original question - and the follow up - is that you did by not reading the manual which almost certainly explains the entire phenomenon.

As I already admitted, I had skipped this section of manual due to Mathematical Jagron that I thought I wouldn't remember. BTW, my Nikon D5100 manual doesn't explain why does this phenomenon happens but I would be grateful if you could guide me to where this explaination is given in my manual

ISO = 100, shutter speed = 1/60 second. Aperture = Flash Guide Number / Distance to Subject. See your flash owner's manual to find the guide number.

This is the Guide no. of my Flash
58 meters (ISO 100, 105mm)

You have not specified if I am allowed to edit you photo, but here is my version:

$DSC_2594 - Version 2.jpg

Why only crop, you can even adjust colors if u want :wink:. I hope my friend doesn't go mad seeing his Pics posted on open forum....lol

Most reactions

Back