what caused this?

carlita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
this picture was taken by a fellow i know and he asked me what could have made it come out skewed like this (it hasn't been altered at all) and i wasn't sure what to tell him so i thought some of you might have an idea. i've asked him what kind of camera he was using, but he has yet to respond so i'll follow up with that info once i get an answer from him. anyway, here's the picture:

D2878199195520f_photo.jpg

To answer your question I could go into an in depth explanation filling up many, many pages. My explanation could involve pie charts, facts, figues, and a slide show depicting what exactly went wrong. But I will sum up what went wrong in this photo for you in one word.

Demons

Yes, it was the work of the devil that messed up the photo. There's been an uprising of demon possesed photos all over the world. Right now your only hope is
vonsydow.jpg
this man. He will be in touch with you shortly for assistance.

well, im not a professional by any means, but i'll give u my best guestimate :eek:

looks like to me he moved the camera while it was still exposing (shutter being too slow) .. or the environment moved (wind, etc) ... u should ask him if he used a tripod (which shouldnt be that necessary if he had a faster shutter, iso) :?

or, he could have used the Program mode in the camera and it exposed it too dark ... spot metering would probably do it better, but for this kind of shot, manual is the best way to go ... gives u more control of the outcome ... :D

carlita said:
i've asked him what kind of camera he was using, but he has yet to respond so i'll follow up with that info once i get an answer from him.

this was his response...

"It's a cheap thang. I got it for 50 bucks at walmart. The model is a Vivitar Vivi Cam 3340.

Nope. It was in my back yard. Nothing was between me and the picture."

... if that helps give anybody any ideas. so, it's apparently not a reflection at all. he was just standing in his back yard pointing the camera at the corner of the house.

Well the earths magnetic poles are reversing.... Perhaps their was a large momentary shift of magma 2000 miles beneath him as he took the picture, momentarily bending everything from the focal point of the anomaly to the surface where your friend was standing. Its very dangerous when these things happen, for one you could be crushed or contorted into a very painful/deadly position. 2. you could be impaled by another object contorting like you are, or 3 the atmosphere could leave the spot for just enogh time for microwave radiation to slip thru instantly radiating your body temperature to over 3000 degrees celsius therebye making you incinerate. :roll: That must be what happened there, or maybe it was just demons and the Father will contact you shortly.

I'm not familiar with the camera you mentioned, but the the first thing I thought of was an old BW pic of a car race (in France I think) in which the car wheels are distorted into ovals (like when the Roadrunner goes fast). This is caused by old fashioned focal plane shutter design and a panning camera or moving subject.

Simple focal plane shutters use two curtains (one opens the next closes) to control exposure. At really fast speeds the second curtain follows along right after the first so that the opening is never whole, it's a slit moving across. This means that the entire image is not being taken at once, and can be distorted by subject or camera movement. Modern focal plane shutter use multiple curtains moving both horizontally and vertically to try and prevent this distortion.

My theory is that his cheapo digital cam has a cheapo focal plane shutter that travels vertically. If the camera was jerked to the side as the pic was being taken this distortion could result.

I do see some glare that could support some folks' ideas about it being shot through glass.

I also support the "DEMONS" theory. Everyone knows that photography steals your soul.

Well the demon theory is a very sound one. But maybe the bottom of the film was stretched or in the incorrect position during exsposure. Just a guestimate of mine though, you can disregard as neccesory.

It looks like it was anamorphically squeezed. Are we looking at 100% of the negative/positive?

Most reactions

Back