What caused this?

jestep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My dad took this photo last week in Utah. It is not photoshopped, nor altered in any way, I'm trying to figure out what the heck this is. My assumption was some sort of lens flair but not going to lie, it's pretty creepy and I've never seen anything like it. It was just from his Samsung phone camera, I have a picture from 1 minute earlier and it wasn't in that one. I have worked in graphic design and IT for about 20 years now and do amateur photography and I can't explain it.

20220303_111919.jpg

I worked in the graphic arts industry, mostly in pre-press for over 20 years and this is a new one on me. You can see flare in other places on the front side of the cliff in shadow, but nothing that should have resulted in this. My suspicion is that since cell phone camera photos are heavily processed in the phone when converting what the sensor sees to a jpg image that this is caused by their algorithms. The hardness of the top of the artifact indicates something purposeful and it does look like light coming through a lens. Design flaw? Either that or you have proof of alien life or life after death. :chuncky:

wink, wink, nudge, nudge ...

Yeah, it's got me stumped, and I promise this is not edited. My thought was maybe part of the multi lens system in the new samsung phones, pretty sure they have an optical multi lense setup like iphones? i don't know enough about the optics in them but that's about all I have. But the angle of flare makes zero sense to me, it's definitely symmetrical though. You can see the flare around the sun, which is to be expected, I can't even come up with a remotely logical idea of how a vertical one that looks like some sort of tractor beam would happen.

I just thought maybe someone has seen something like this and I just haven't seen it before.

I worked in the graphic arts industry, mostly in pre-press for over 20 years and this is a new one on me. You can see flare in other places on the front side of the cliff in shadow, but nothing that should have resulted in this. My suspicion is that since cell phone camera photos are heavily processed in the phone when converting what the sensor sees to a jpg image that this is caused by their algorithms. The hardness of the top of the artifact indicates something purposeful and it does look like light coming through a lens. Design flaw? Either that or you have proof of alien life or life after death. :chuncky:

Actually, I'm going to see if he has some filtering setting on. I didn't even think of the phone doing it post-picture. The picture before this one was normal, but they were farther away so wasn't exactly the same angle.

At first glance I thought it was water... which maybe it was?? Doesn't it look above it like there are streaks on the rock formation? Maybe the phone edited it to look more precise/even, or something?

It's lens flare that probably got bounced around between the elements of the lens.

Don't think I've ever seen lens flare like that, but then I've never taken photos out in that part of the country. And I know there isn't exactly a lot of water but I was thinking pockets of water here and there (if that's what you'd call it!)

I'm trying to wrap my head around 'pockets of water'.

My dad took this photo last week in Utah. It is not photoshopped, nor altered in any way, I'm trying to figure out what the heck this is. My assumption was some sort of lens flair but not going to lie, it's pretty creepy and I've never seen anything like it. It was just from his Samsung phone camera, I have a picture from 1 minute earlier and it wasn't in that one. I have worked in graphic design and IT for about 20 years now and do amateur photography and I can't explain it.

View attachment 254317
You are witnessing an inter-dimensional temporal vortex forming. Don't get too close...

Mr. Google says there are some water sources in deserts (groundwater, etc.) - so that's what I meant, sources...

And how did inter terrestial Trekky sounding whatever get into this conversation?!?! lol

Turned out to be a very cool shot, with an unusual artifact. It's almost certainy some kind of lens flare, as others pointed out possibly aggrivated with some of Samsungs processing.

Mr. Google says there are some water sources in deserts (groundwater, etc.) - so that's what I meant, sources...

And how did inter terrestial Trekky sounding whatever get into this conversation?!?! lol

I think you're addressing the dark streaks on the rocks while the rest of us are addressing the purple artifact.

Most reactions

Back