What causes "orbs" in photos?

A few months ago I just started playing around with my camera and did "ghosts", "orbs", "light writing" and those things that you see on those Ghost Hunter shows. I put them on my FB and people actually thought they were real. Oh boy ....

You have to love cheap lenses too for that stuff, it becomes natural.

Orbs are spirits floating around .... According to the ghost hunters. Hehehehe.

I got that one time from a Gettysburg enthusiast who thought he'd been photographing ghosts. "Oh, really," I said, "so do you find most ghosts show up when you're pointing your camera at strong light sources?"

Sigh.

Orbs are BS.
Auras are BS.

And you, of course have duplicated Dr. Kirlian's experiments and proved him wrong.:biglaugh: I won't hold my breath waiting for your book.

holy crap ... old thread.

Recently a women put a posting on my local Craigslist in the photo section asking for help from pro photographers. Apparently a large number of photos she took of her kids had an ominous "apparition" looming in the edge of the photos and she wanted help capturing it with some high-end gear.

I was really bored at the time and responded asking for some photos to see for myself.

Each one had a slightly out-of-focus gray wrist strap (the kind found on most low-end point and shoots) blown out by the flash and dangling in the right side of the frame. I guess it only appeared in photos where she tilted the camera down towards the floor to get shots of her little kids.

Being the nice guy that I am I politely responded with my logical, professionally worded, scientific explanation of the phenomena and advised her how to avoid any problems in the future.

I was then promptly berated in a 500 word tirade of a reply as to how it ABSOLUTELY HAD TO BE the spirit of the now deceased grandmother from the great beyond shepherding the children through their young lives. If I was not willing to help her by capture better images of the "ghost" with my high-end gear (at no cost to her I assume) then I should "get a life" and "stop wasting her time". People who believe REALLY believe sometimes.

True story.

Most reactions

Back