what color? studio walls

Cindy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been using my home for studio but now I have bought a small place and would like to know what color to paint walls?

I don't really know , but if it was my call I would paint them a dark colour (black) that way you have control over where the light reflects (or doesn't) from.

I guess Hertz is your man for this one. - hopefully he'll come to your aid shortly.

BTW - welcome to TPF. If i haven't greeted you already

Hanno

Any dark color would do.
My friend painted his a dark maroon and that looked very nice.
He also had black painted pieces of plywood board that are the size of the windows that he used to cut off all the light coming in. :)

I was in a studio that had dark brown chocolate colored walls that looked very nice. I work on location so I don't have a studio technically. With my strobes and a backdrop I haven't noticed that the wall color affected anything.

Either black, or a dark grey. or dark brown like said above.

Thank you so much think I will go for maroon or chocolate... don't think I could handle black...Thanks again guys

The darker the better. All the studios I have worked in have been black but it shouldn't make a difference. Just remember that the ceiling has to be the same colour as the walls. And make sure you use matt paint - even eggshell or satin finish on black can reflect a lot of light.

Right now, mine are a cool white to match the reflectors of my Mole-Richardson quartz soft boxes.

In the past, the consensus was to use a warm white for portaits camera rooms.

A favorite story told by Dean Collins is about photographing a black car in a totally black camera room... says he's still missing two RBs and a light meter.

Mine is matte white. But I have a small room (11 x 16) so I was afraid of color casting...

(and I also do more commercial work than portraits)

Okay, all of these people who say dark must be pyschic and already know what type of photography you are going to do in this studio or I missed something. A rule of thumb is the more powerfull your lighting this less bright your studio has to be. High power lights will compensate for how much dark walls will absorb your light. Flat Bright white is the most ideal as you can always stop down lights, shutters and aperatures. it is easier to take excess light away from a setup then it is to add. Do you know those curtain tracks they have on the ceiling around hospital beds? I use those to hang any color I want to change the Light reflective surface around what I am photographing In addition to what ever I'm using as a back drop. White gives you the most versatile base color for your surroundings to start from and can't be beat especialy when it comes to shooting high key.

Dave_D said:
A rule of thumb is the more powerfull your lighting this less bright your studio has to be. High power lights will compensate for how much dark walls will absorb your light. Flat Bright white is the most ideal as you can always stop down lights, shutters and aperatures. it is easier to take excess light away from a setup then it is to add.

Huh?

I shoot commercially with professional fashion photographers in NYC several times a month and I've never been in a studio that was painted anything but white. If we want to shoot another color background, we use a different backdrop. Maybe I don't understand the question, but I've never heard of painting a studio a particular color for reasons of photographic style.

Most reactions

Back