What constitutes someone as being a "Photographer"?

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was recently told that I am not a photographer and shouldn't bother taking pictures any more. In all honesty I don't overly care what they had to say but got me wondering what other "photographers" thought on the subject.

One reason pointed out was because my photographs do not tell a story there for I am not a photographer and that they are mediocre.

I have never claimed to be pro (because I am not) but I do not believe my photos are bad.

So anyway, to you, what makes someone a photographer?

Anyone that picks up a camera is a photog.

A pro photog is one that makes money for their work. An amateur does not make money.

Plenty of critics around...just keep blasting away.

Why does everyone try to elevate the term photographer? Those that cater to such notion has some serious personal issues in the ego arena. If we are to assign a certain level of perceived undetermined quality to the term then F* that.... I'm not a photographer and proud of it!

You ignore those people and keep having fun.

Strange question, IMO. I think we are all "photographers", and we each have our own level of accomplishment. Don't quit. Just because someone didn't like your pictures is no reason the just give up. My advice is to follow your heart. Do what you want to. We don't always acheive the "professional" level of competence, and even some of the "professionals" are not doing anything out of the "ordinary". Competence comes with practice, and listening to your critics. When we offer each other critical advice, it is done mostly with the intent of helping someone gain skill.

Also, take a long, hard look at the work of really good photographers, paying particular attention to composition, if nothing else. The mechanics of photography (light, color, etc. take a while to learn, and it will come in time if we pay attention.

I'm not a photographer, I'm just a Guy With a Camera.

I am by no means giving up or will I ever. I love photography and will shoot till the day I die.

This week I've got engagement photos, Dell Children's Hospital wants me to do pictures of the buildings and offices as well as the staff, a pro breeder wants me to do some photos of one of his males, and today I have my own photos to do.

Oh, not this again ... :popcorn:

If you want a lot of opinions on this, the fastest way to get them is to do a search and find all the other threads on this subject - there must be at least one every couple of months.

KenC said:
Oh, not this again ... :popcorn:

If you want a lot of opinions on this, the fastest way to get them is to do a search and find all the other threads on this subject - there must be at least one every couple of months.

Haha sorry

Dude, haters gon' hate.

mwcfarms said:
You are a real photographer when you have a facebook business page!!! Gosh didn't you know that.

Haha I don't even have a personal Facebook page :p

bitter! I love this line!
.....are you a photographer when you start thinking about what you are photographing, and do it with intent?

I think this is the answer for sure! I know my 'photography' has changed immensely from when I started. Now I cannot simply 'snap' a photo. I have to first study the subjects and plan out my compositions and settings. Am I a pro?? No, am I a photographer? I'd like to think so....

when you eat, sleep and dream of photography.

or

When Chuck Noris says so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back