What could i have done better?

OffTheWall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ievil.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone im new here and a beginner at photography :) and thought i would join a photography forum and seek some help and such from advanced novices to more professional photographers :), here are a couple of images that i think look good but don't know how they are perceived by the world.

This one is of my baby Bella.
4698048137_dbf904da18_b.jpg

And here is one of my wife.
4697536468_7ccf8f3619_b.jpg

Any help or criticism would help greatly :)

Insulin shots ftw.

Welcome.

I like the focus of the first one to some degree...the focus on the eye is nice. I like the composition in general too. I almost wish the nose was more in focus because my eye kinda gets led to the right by the foreground (the white panels)...so although the eye is nicely focused, I end up looking at the nose, which isn't. Overall though I like the image.

The second one I'm not sure what you were going for, so it's hard to know what to think. I do think the hair makes it impossible to judge what's going on though (no direction since you can't see her eyes). Could have some great texture contrasts between the wall and your wife's skin, but I can't see much of that either, and it's not posed for that. Personally I hate it when people wear patterned shirts, it makes it a pain to clone stuff out later on! :)

Welcome.

I like the focus of the first one to some degree...the focus on the eye is nice. I like the composition in general too. I almost wish the nose was more in focus because my eye kinda gets led to the right by the foreground (the white panels)...so although the eye is nicely focused, I end up looking at the nose, which isn't. Overall though I like the image.

The second one I'm not sure what you were going for, so it's hard to know what to think. I do think the hair makes it impossible to judge what's going on though (no direction since you can't see her eyes). Could have some great texture contrasts between the wall and your wife's skin, but I can't see much of that either, and it's not posed for that. Personally I hate it when people wear patterned shirts, it makes it a pain to clone stuff out later on! :)

1. i do agree about the focus on going down through the nose of the doggy too :), i accidently shot it at f5.6 so it kinda blurred out some of the image :).

2. The shot was supposed to be of her a little wacked out of her brains "drunk" lol. I also agree on the pattern shirt but of course she insisted on wearing plaid lol, the shot in general was supposed to be a kind of weary like WTF is going on in this picture lol.

Thank you for your insight :).

Ah, well going with what you said about #2:

Assuming this was a set up shot and not a "oh look, my wife is wasted, let's take a pic!" then I'd say, you could add something to help convey what you wanted to get across. A "slightly" OOF liquor bottle perhaps...a shot glass turned over with some liquid running out of it...anything like that would have worked.

Maybe avoid the "stump" effect from cutting off her arm. I know you were trying to go for something specific, but it's like the dog picture...the eye can be led to some things (the things that are more obviously wrong in a situation) more easily than we'd like.

I'd say, keep trying. I can give you my CC real easy, but I have some of these same issues. I'm still learning to get what's in my head into the viewfinder!

Most reactions

Back