What could it be? Dust in viewfinder?

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Need some possible explanations...I just got a D700 and I am noticing some smudging and dust, but it's not on the sensor. Went out and shot f22 into the sky and got no signs of dust spots or smudging on the image, but when you look through the viewfinder, there is a smudge in the middle and some spots that look like dust you would see on the sensor. What could this be? The D700 was purchased used, but it's in great condition.

Most likely what you are seeing is on the camera's focusing screen, which is located just above the reflex mirror, inside the camera. Fibers from fabric, dust clumps, and tiny,tiny pieces of brass from old worn lens mounts have a way of getting up on there, and being held in place by static cling. "Smudging" is what makes me think it's on the focusing screen's bottom side. It should be cleanable. Be careful and work with good light and a steady hand. Before you do clean the screen--make sure you have removed the viewfinder eyepiece, and checked that both sides of the eyepiece are clean, and also that the in-body eyepiece bit is also smudge free.

Most likely what you are seeing is on the camera's focusing screen, which is located just above the reflex mirror, inside the camera. Fibers from fabric, dust clumps, and tiny,tiny pieces of brass from old worn lens mounts have a way of getting up on there, and being held in place by static cling. "Smudging" is what makes me think it's on the focusing screen's bottom side. It should be cleanable. Be careful and work with good light and a steady hand. Before you do clean the screen--make sure you have removed the viewfinder eyepiece, and checked that both sides of the eyepiece are clean, and also that the in-body eyepiece bit is also smudge free.

The focusing screen was my first guess as well :thumbup:

Eek! I have never had to clean a sensor or focusing screen before and I'm scared to even mess with the inside of the camera :/ I guess I should take it to a camera shop and let them do it. Should this information have been disclosed to me before I purchased the camera because it will be an extra expense for me to have it cleaned?

Eek! I have never had to clean a sensor or focusing screen before and I'm scared to even mess with the inside of the camera :/ I guess I should take it to a camera shop and let them do it. Should this information have been disclosed to me before I purchased the camera because it will be an extra expense for me to have it cleaned?

$50 spot is what our local shop charges for cleaning cameras (everything). Some of us clean our own but even if you take it to a shop its not the end of the world anyway =)

Good to know that it won't cost me an arm and/or a leg. $50 is not bad. I actually watched a video showing how to clean the focus screen and it doesn't look very hard, so I may try it. Although I may just go ahead and take it to the shop and get everything cleaned up :)

If you see it through the viewfinder and not on the images, it is not on the sensor.

Small chance, mirror
Larger chance, finger print on diopter lens.

I hope and pray that it's not the mirror :/ Think I'm gonna take her to the camera shop doctor and let him figure it out. He has insurance I assume.

The focus screen can be removed and cleaned with out much hassle, the mirror can also be cleaned--just be careful not to press to hard on the mirror. Neither of these elements are in the image path so dust, or scratches from cleaning wont affect your images.

First thing u should try is blowing i out with a hand squeeze blower--u can use canned air as well, but make sure u dont blow liquid co2 into the camera.

Be very careful with the focusing screen - they are somewhat fragile...

I would try to just blow the dust off first. (With a blower, not your mouth.)

I used a rocket blower and it took care of it. Obviously, the little annoying smudge is still there, but if it doesn't mess with the cameras ability to focus, I'm leaving the focusing screen ALONE :)

Hello,

I was hoping to get some direction with a similar situation.
Disclaimer: Novice photography, with little to no experience with cameras outside of stander digital.

I just bought a used Nikon FG to cure my curiosity of 35mm photography. I'm eager to get out and start shooting, but upon receiving my camera I noticed when looking through the viewfinder there are few particles that show up. When I take off the lens and look through they still show - I have a basic understanding of how to clean and have ordered a cleaning kit off amazon.

Thus, my question: Will these particles show up on images? I can live with them being there if they won't affect the outcome of the image, but if they do, I want to get it cleaned as thorough as possible before venturing out and shooting. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and thank you for your help!

If you can see the dust with the lens off, then it's on the mirror, focus screen, pentaprism or somewhere else in the path of the viewfinder. This will not affect the image.

Be very careful cleaning the focus screen... they are extremely fragile.

Hello,

I was hoping to get some direction with a similar situation.
Disclaimer: Novice photography, with little to no experience with cameras outside of stander digital.

I just bought a used Nikon FG to cure my curiosity of 35mm photography. I'm eager to get out and start shooting, but upon receiving my camera I noticed when looking through the viewfinder there are few particles that show up. When I take off the lens and look through they still show - I have a basic understanding of how to clean and have ordered a cleaning kit off amazon.

Thus, my question: Will these particles show up on images? I can live with them being there if they won't affect the outcome of the image, but if they do, I want to get it cleaned as thorough as possible before venturing out and shooting. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and thank you for your help!

Welcome aboard.
The only spots that would appear on film images are those on the lens. Spots that are on the mirror or viewfinder will not show up on the film. The mirror will move out of the way (think of it as a door that opens when you hit the shutter release) and the viewfinder is not in the path of the film.

If you see them through the viewfinder, typically they are on the mirror, less typically on the viewfinder lens itself.
Rocket blower mentioned above is first resort.

I must warn you that a Nikon is a gateway drug to a consuming involvement - only slight less involving than marriage and slightly less expensive than divorce. :)

Most reactions

Back