What do I say to this? (Message from a client)

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Deleted. Thank you all... I appreciate your input! :)

Last edited:
Ignore it ... or at the least a simple note your pricing change has been in the works for a while and had nothing to do with her session and that she is still eligible for the loyalty discount.

But really, I would just ignore it as she would not understand why you are no longer pricing yourself rediculously low.

Don't be discouraged.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony. I don't want to ignore her though because shes come to me a few times now. Ill just let her know that my pricing change has been in the works and my prices reflect running a business. I did think my prices were rediculously low, but my prices still are competitive w/other photographers in the area.

...........crazy expensive, but again has been doing this for years.

WOW! She implies after you have some experience then you can charge. Maybe hint nicely to her you charge for your final products, not how long you've been in the business.

I love that she's self centered enough to think that you upped your prices because of HER child's behavior.

Local grocery stores raise their prices for a complete lack of reason as far as the public can see, I wonder if she emails them and says:

"Well, you guys aren't a big grocery store, so shouldn't your prices be lower to compete with the big ones? After all, you get your goods at the same price as all the other stores. Was it because my child came in and broke some jars of Apple Jelly under my supervision?"

You could try the loyalty discount as Tony suggested, but other than that I guess she can find another photographer in her price range.

+1

The other store may have been in business longer too per her subtle hint
badteeth.gif

Dear customer,

Thank you for you for input. As you can imagine, there are many factors that contribute to a successful business. I value your opinion and your loyalty.

Easter us just around the corner. Please let me know when you would like to book your next appointment with your $25 loyalty discount.

Thank you,
Photographer

^^This is well put.

Also you could tell her that anyone can put any price on an image. It is Art and the value is determined what people will pay for your work, not how long you have been in business. Maybe tell her it was because of her child... Jokes.

You all are wonderful... thank you!

Tyler I really love the grocery store analogy! haha

Maybe hint nicely to her you charge for your final products, not how long you've been in the business. - 2wheel I love this!

Thanks Tony. I don't want to ignore her though because shes come to me a few times now. Ill just let her know that my pricing change has been in the works and my prices reflect a GROWING business. I did think my prices were rediculously low, but my prices still are competitive w/other photographers in the area.

Fixed.

Awesome for you going ahead with this!
Thanks for providing proof to others what happens when you start out low and raise your prices.
Like we talked about before, you may lose a few customers, but you'll work hard at gaining new ones.
There is also the possibility that lost customers will be back. :sexywink:

Good luck!

$125 including the CD is expensive?? WOW... to be honest at this rate, your new clients from word of mouth will be expecting the same thing. You will never support a family charging that much.

Thanks Tony. I don't want to ignore her though because shes come to me a few times now. Ill just let her know that my pricing change has been in the works and my prices reflect a GROWING business. I did think my prices were rediculously low, but my prices still are competitive w/other photographers in the area.

Fixed.

Awesome for you going ahead with this!
Thanks for providing proof to others what happens when you start out low and raise your prices.
Like we talked about before, you may lose a few customers, but you'll work hard at gaining new ones.
There is also the possibility that lost customers will be back. :sexywink:

Good luck!

That's right Bitter! I remember you saying that and us going back and forth on this subject. I guess this is to be expected when you start out low. Thanks for the reassurance. :sexywink:

$125 including the CD is expensive?? WOW... to be honest at this rate, your new clients from word of mouth will be expecting the same thing. You will never support a family charging that much.

I'm just very lucky my husband has a good job! haha

But $125 was my old full session rate. My prices haven't gone up "drastically" I don't think. I now charge $150 for a mini, $250 for a full, and have a $80 "try me" session for first time clients only. This is still pretty much in the low to midrange I think.

Tell her to shut her pie hole, or you'll do it for here and if she says anything about this in public, you'll remove her valve stems via a switch blade!

Or if you actually feel the need to justify the price increase, you could tell her that you didn't realize that the time if would take you in your photography work and the price of equipment would have you working for minimum wage.

This is a guesstimate, but let's look at this.

$125 for a photo session.

Session booking - .25 hours Face it, 15 mintues to convince a client to work with you is cake sometimes
Session - 2 hours Setup, tear down, shooting, dealing with clients
Editing - 1 hour This would be very simple editing for say 20 images. This doesn't include a lot of touch up.

If you look at a very simple estimate like that, you're looking at 3.25 hours and that's not including post processing, deliver, and depending on where you shot, gas expenses. $125/3.25 is $38.46. I don't know about you, but that's not much more than I make at my day job and at that rate, to pay for even $5,000 in gear, you'd be looking at $130 to break even with basic photography gear. At that point, it's not worth your talent and hard work put yourself in a position to work your ass off for nothing. I know people who have paid over $5,000 for a single wedding photographer. It's because they recognize the value in their work. You'll always have some potential clients that don't and that's why they'll always be potential clients and not actual clients.

Hi Sabrina,

You need to take your personal feelings out of the equation. And, I know that I am betraying the feminist movement but, don't act like a girl. Do acknowledge your client and her concerns but do not get defensive or even go into detail as to your prices. And then of course use this as a sales opportunity by giving her an insentive and call to action. (ie. Easter Portraits). This won't be the last time you get these type of correspodence. It helps to have a gme plan ready when they pop up.

Most reactions

Back