What do I take pictures of?

joshmcm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I just bought a Canon Rebel Xti for $300 from a friend since I am now entering photography. But, I have no idea what to take pictures of. I'm really into nature and landscape but I honestly cannot find anything to take pictures of. Any suggestions?

I just looked at a file of pictures. People. Lots of people. Churches, inside and out, busy or empty. Walls and doors. Plants. Flags. A hospital interior. Wash on a clothesline. Three pots in a window. Artifacts in a museum. Marimba players.

I enjoy taking pictures in the morning, in the evening, at night. I like unusual lighting. It's a challenge.

Start carrying your camera and take pictures. Pick a number of pictures and take the best pictures you can of whatever there is. Pick a theme and take all the pictures of that theme you can in a day. Here's an example. Rocks. Now, take all the rock pictures you can in one day.

And, have fun.

Everything that interests you.

I like cars, sports, and nature among other things so that is what I take pictures of mostly.

Haha. My neighbors are gonna think I'm crazy when they see me in the front yard with a camera.

Haha. My neighbors are gonna think I'm crazy when they see me in the front yard with a camera.

ahh, you'll get over it :)

Go take some night-time long exposure shots. Or, some close-ups of nature stuff, or if you have a pond with ducks, go take pictures of them for practice.. Everyone takes pictures of ducks at the pond...so yours won't necessarily be original... but it'll be good practice.

Maybe find a junkyard, and go take pictures of cars, trying to make them look nice, by getting at angles that hide the wreckages. This will help you focus on the background and surroundings of composing your image.

Yeah, I think all photographers get used to it after a while. I always get comments from my friends saying things like "WHY are you taking a picture of a stupid blade of grass?!" (They obviosly don't see the tiny dew drop hanging down from it ;)) But, I do things like take long exposures in the medians of busy streets at night...I get a TON of weird looks, but I am pretty much used to it by now.
If people think you are stupid for crazy things you do to get a picture, they are just ignorant...and most likely take crappy pictures!

One great thing about photography is it really opens your eyes to what we might have once have seen as one of the most mundane objects, and suddenly the reflection created when it is in a particular light or the contrasting angles makes it 'photographic worthy'

Best bet is to get out there and start shooting, start developing your own way of looking at things :)

I have been choosing a random word from a dictionary every morning, I try to take a representative photo every day. I can't say I really have a style yet, so it helps me learn, stay interested, and be creative.

Thats the key, be creative.

Yesterday my dad and I got out his old Nikon F2a film camera, we cleaned it up inside and out, added new batteries, slapped on the Sigma 105mm and he went out to the front of our house to shoot a few flower shots, tripod and all. I was right behind him watching and snapping off the odd pic of him playing with my D200.

If you think your neighbors think you are wierd, imagine what mine think... here is a guy with a tripod shooting roses and behind him is a guy taking pics of the guy taking pics of the roses! :lmao:

I wanted to call my friend and come take pics of me, but I think the neihbors would have called the men with the white jackets on me at that point.

Honestly, I could not care less what other people think (except those that matter to me, of course), we are, after all, entitled to our own opinions.

Three hundred bucks?!?!?!

If your a noob like me then take a look at the photo galleries. It will really help give you ideas and open your eyes. Then its a matter of practicing taking those pictures. You could take a picture of just about anything, and the more you practice the more you will recognize a good shot, and maybe see the beauty in something that you wouldn't normally give a second look.

Good luck

They're gonna think you're even crazier when they see you doing something bazaar like laying on your stomach with your camera to get a different perspective. I do this all the time when I'm out and about and people think I'm the dumbest thing ever.

It really sucks if the ground is wet...but it's worth it if the shot turns out ok. :)

I just bought my camera as some know and went out and took pictures of my husbands Supra that he is fixing up... the guys at the shop were looking at me like I was a wierddo And I thought to myself... Wow... I'm turing into a photographer... you can't be a photographer without the looks! It's to bad others don't see what we do. Makes photography that much more special

Most reactions

New Topics

Back