what do these numbers on my lens mean??

juturna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I'm new here! I've had my Sony Cybershot DSC H50 for a while now.

My camera has a Carl Zeiss lens.

However, there are some numbers on the lens, and I have no idea what they mean!

2,7-4,5/5,2-78

Does anyone have any idea what these numbers mean?

Also, I've been wanting to get some filters, and my camera came with a lens flower hood and the attachment for the flower hood.....but I'm not sure what size filter to get, and if it goes attached to the attachment for the flower hood or what?

Please help!:confused:

Don't know what the numbers mean, but a simple Google search turned this up:

What really bothers me about this camera is that Sony made the accompanying ring/hood in a non-standard size (74mm)...This means that the reasonably priced Hoya or Tiffen filters will not fit, and that you must buy the costly Sony brand if you want a filter on your camera.

Blame Sony for their poor choice of size. Actually, it's such a minor difference, I'd bet it is a ploy to squeeze more money out of their consumers. *sigh*

The filter does not attach to the same place as the hood. It screws onto the front of the lens, but not all lenses have the option. To figure out the diameter/size just take your camera/lens with you when you go to buy the filter and see which ones fit. You can also ask the salespersons.

*sigh* No, the hood doesn't attach to the same place as the filter. That doesn't make it any less true that the filters have to be in a non-standard size of 72mm. The complete quote:

What really bothers me about this camera is that Sony made the accompanying ring/hood in a non-standard size (74mm). The newer flared end design of the filter ring is an improvement over the old ring, since it means no lens vignetting at wider angles, but it seriously irritates me that Sony couldn’t have made the opening to fit a standard 72mm filter. This means that the reasonably priced Hoya or Tiffen filters will not fit, and that you must buy the costly Sony brand if you want a filter on your camera. I tried the inferior quality 74mm Opteka filters (apparently hastily made just for Sony), and the polarizer came apart while I was cleaning it to put on the camera. Faced with the prospect of buying pricey, odd-sized Sony filters for a point and shoot camera, especially when indications are they may not fit future models, I managed to find a off-brand 74-72mm step down ring (made by Bower for Sony products), which is supposed to fit the Hoya filters I just ordered . The $120(6000 INR) Sony telephoto extension I bought for my DSC-H2 camera a year and a half ago is completely useless for the DSC-H50, which is a further irritation.

SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC-H50/B Review, SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC-H50/B Price, SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC-H50/B Feature, Amazing lens, Spectacular photos, easy to use - MouthShut.com

Hello! I'm new here! I've had my Sony Cybershot DSC H50 for a while now.

My camera has a Carl Zeiss lens.

However, there are some numbers on the lens, and I have no idea what they mean!

2,7-4,5/5,2-78

Does anyone have any idea what these numbers mean?

Also, I've been wanting to get some filters, and my camera came with a lens flower hood and the attachment for the flower hood.....but I'm not sure what size filter to get, and if it goes attached to the attachment for the flower hood or what?

Please help!:confused:
t
the numbers 2.7-4.5 are the aperture. The 5.2-78 are the focal length. the aperture is 2.7 at 5.2mm and and 4.5 at 78mm. The aperture varies due to the zoo, of the lens. If you have no idea what these term mean check out my signature. Also some of you might think that 5.2 is very wide. It is wide but it's so low b/c P&S cameras have a very small sensor so that would be appropriate for that camera. the 5.2 mm would be between 18-24mm on a dSLR (dont feel like checking out the crop factor on that camera, im tired from work :p). So yea, check out my sig since you need to know these terms of you are asking this question.

If you need filters go to Ebay. I have used some no name brand filter off of Ebay and have been surprised at there quality( a good thing) 72mm filter are not expensive at all. You can get a either a Uv filter a polarizer or a Diffusion filter for under 20 each. Just look it up. And us Paypal. You have nothing to worry about with paypal. They will back you up if anything happens. Also don't be worried about buying from Overseas. It usually ships pretty quick. I bought a UV filter from China for 2.50 and it was here within 5 days.

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

You don't attach the hood to the lens.

You actually attach it to the ring around the lens. There are no threads on the lens.

Even with the doubler attachment, the lens zooms inside the attachment. Nothing physically attaches to the lens itself.
Sony DSC-H50: Digital Photography Review

Most of the super-zoom Sony's had a 6X crop factor. So it's equal to about a 31mm to about a 468mm lens on a 35mm FF body.

I bought the H9 prior to my D90. Worst investment I made into photography. Should have just spent the money on a Xsi or D40 to begin with and start building lens kits

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back