What do you do on a cloudy day?

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today is completely overcast and drizzly. Yesterday was the same. Tomorrow will likely be the same. I don't have anything that needs to be 'shopped. What do you do on a cloudy, rainy day?

Organize/upload photos, read about ways to improve or understand a new skill (lighting technique is always good).

Last edited:
If its not actually raining, I go out in the yard and shoot water drops and bugs that come out seeking the water.

Today is completely overcast and drizzly. Yesterday was the same. Tomorrow will likely be the same. I don't have anything that needs to be 'shopped. What do you do on a cloudy, rainy day?
If I'm not editing anything and don't have any chores to take care of, I set up my strobist gear and shoot indoors. On another forum the monthly assignment was "technology" so I took out my spare parts box and did this setup...

Two strobes with grid snoots fired from low angles and a third strobe with grid snoot fired from a higher angle. Canon XTi with EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM @ 17mm.
3565079855_2e72b64883_o.jpg

This one is with the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM.
3564285521_d5d9f38e12_o.jpg

Just because the weather outside isn't good doesn't mean you can't do any shooting.

You can get some awesome contrast with overcast days because you won't have the extreme brights / shadows. I'd still go outside and have at it.

If I'm not editing anything and don't have any chores to take care of, I set up my strobist gear and shoot indoors. On another forum the monthly assignment was "technology" so I took out my spare parts box and did this setup...

Geez Sam, looks like 10gb's of memory there! (I'm sure they're probably all older 256k).

To the OP, shoot indoors using whatever lighting you have. Or go to any of your public buildings where you can get some shots of people, things or whatever it is that floats your boat. Use this as an opportunity to learn something new!

I live in Vancouver, so this happens quite often. I just set my WB to cloudy, go out and shoot. If it's particularly rainy I'll tear-up a plastic bag and take a few with me to wrap around my camera body and lens. Shoot with available light; it's good weather for candids, street shots, and anything that might benefit from a little water in the scene (particularly roads with trees lining them; during and after rain you can get really nice reflections from the road).

The nastier thing about shooting in rain is removing raindrops from the scene if need be. That can be a bit time consuming. >.<

If that was directed at me, can't. My lenses aren't faster than 4-5.6. >.<

Since I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, I'm not really familiar with the concept of a rainy day. However, there are days where it's too hot and too bright and too cloudless to shooting outside much. Then I go to old churches, museums, pleasant gardens around town.

Some scenes are best shot in these conditions. Go out and shoot, just don't include the sky in your pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back