What do you do to plan for a model shoot?

Tkot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Been talking with a few people about taking some pictures of them. They're interested in starting modeling, and as I'm delving into photography I thought both our portfolios could be well served here.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what you all do to plan and prepare for a model shoot. How do you plan and prepare, and then how do you actually execute what you've planned once you have your model there with you. IE, just share any tips you may have picked up from shooting models. I've read articles and whatnot on planning shoots, so really I'm just wondering what other advice you all may have to offer.

Thanks!

I plan wine, lighting and location, then the rest just falls into place once I start shooting :)

If it's outdoor, I scout location and check the lighting. If it's in my own studio, then I just make sure the equipment is working a couple of days before the shoot. I also try to get to know the model a bit more, easier to work with someone that you know a bit of his/her personality. I just go with the flow and whatever props I have...

Well until I hit 21 I can get two out of those three, haha

If it's outdoor, I scout location and check the lighting. If it's in my own studio, then I just make sure the equipment is working a couple of days before the shoot. I also try to get to know the model a bit more, easier to work with someone that you know a bit of his/her personality. I just go with the flow and whatever props I have...

That's what the wine is for, it works both ways, if your model is awful at least you'll have fun!! Also I would suggest checking you lighting at least an hour before your shoot not a couple days :p

Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

How do people come up with concepts and then find ways to execute them in an image? For example, if you knew the concept of your images had to be, I don't know, a student leaving home to go to college, what sort of shots would you plan? How do you translate a concept into individual shots?

Hmm I never hire a model until I have an idea I want to execute! I guess if all else fails you can browse Google or Flikr for ideas (in all seriousness I never drink during a shoot, but most of the times the model does!).

Hmm I never hire a model until I have an idea I want to execute! I guess if all else fails you can browse Google or Flikr for ideas (in all seriousness I never drink during a shoot, but most of the times the model does!).

I have a print out of 200+ poses hanging on the walls of my studio. If I run out of ideas, just point to the pose I want.... :D So far, I don't shoot enough to run out of ideas. FML :(

I see what you mean. In this case the models are coming to me and I have to decide what to do with them, haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back