What do you do when a session is not going good?

eilla05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I agreed to do a session for one of my friends. She has two children one is a 3month old. I drove an hour and a half to meet her at her moms to take her kids photos. One the way down (about 45minutes into trip) it start to sprinkle... I thought oh no... I kept going thinking it would pass quickly... Nope!:lol:

So instead I get there and we go outside under a gazebo and snap a few pictures then we go out in the rain and snap a few, then I waited about another 1.5 hours for the rain to stop. I then managed to get a few good pictures of her kids despite 1. the rain and 2. the distraction as her older one was around other boys, toys etc at his grandmas.

My question is what do you do when a session is not going good? Or worse yet you do not manage to get great photos? I just want to know what to do in the future for people who are not my friend ;)

And just in case your curious.....

Last edited:
Those are some fantastic shots despite the hardships. I really LOVE #1. Like so much that it may send me into a baby craze until my next shoot with a baby and I'm pulling my hair out.

IMHO You just have to go with it. Don't see things like the weather as a set back but an opportunity. Think outside the box! I haven't had much luck with kids who are not entertained by the squeaky toy or peekaboo (or some combination of the two). I leave it up to the parents to get their kids in order if they're being tremendously difficult because they know them best.

Congrats. We both know it turned out good, so no need to further.

Im not sure how to take this comment? I only added the pictures because I thought someone would ask for them. As for you thinking it turned out good thanks :D Im not sure what your comment was for really as I am really wanting to know how people handle rain, kids who dont listen or do not pay attention etc.. I am sorry if I offended you by putting up photos.

Those are some fantastic shots despite the hardships. I really LOVE #1. Like so much that it may send me into a baby craze until my next shoot with a baby and I'm pulling my hair out.

IMHO You just have to go with it. Don't see things like the weather as a set back but an opportunity. Think outside the box! I haven't had much luck with kids who are not entertained by the squeaky toy or peekaboo (or some combination of the two). I leave it up to the parents to get their kids in order if they're being tremendously difficult because they know them best.

Thanks for those comments! I actually used a plastic grocery sack to cover my camera because I recalled seeing a post on here where someone ( I do not remember who) had their camera covered with plastic shooting in the rain :lol: I was really glad I had read that post on here let me tell yoU!

Im not sure how to take this comment? I only added the pictures because I thought someone would ask for them. As for you thinking it turned out good thanks :D Im not sure what your comment was for really as I am really wanting to know how people handle rain, kids who dont listen or do not pay attention etc.. I am sorry if I offended you by putting up photos.

I understand. Your perfect captures did not support the verbal scenario is all. my apologizes for not realizing the *hypothetical. 1) the photos are amazing 2) my son has those boots.

My question is what do you do when a session is not going good?

Sorry, but it is ...when a session is not going well. My mother (English teacher) would never let it slide and I take every opportunity to correct others.

As far as the question... Just take a second and regroup your thoughts. Camera settings or pretending you need to change batteries is a good way to get some time to yourself.

If the older child is getting in the way, it's either time to include the older one or ask the parents to take control.

Prep the parents before hand!!! Remind them to have the kids fed and well rested before they show up. Ask that they bring along something to keep the other kid busy while you are shooting the younger one. Two kids... Two parents! An ounce of prevention...

As far as the shots you posted goes, they look okay. You have a problem with chopping off body parts and composing the shot but that can all be fixed with a little reading, shooting, and posting for CC.

I have a shoot with a 7mo tomorrow evening and by the way the parents are talking, I have a BAD feeling about this one. I did all the prep I could do, the rest is up to God and the kid!

I understand. Your perfect captures did not support the verbal scenario is all. my apologizes for not realizing the *hypothetical. 1) the photos are amazing 2) my son has those boots.

Okay its obvious that you do not like my thread or anything in it so why are you still commenting? If you notice in the original thread I said that I manged to get some decent shots..... these photos are FAR from amazing and I wish someone who knew what they were doing would comment.

I am genuinely curious as to how the Pro's or those with experience handle things like rain or getting home to realize that you have no good shots or only a handful.

I will not respond to you again. If you want to start a bicker go find someone else do it with. If you do not like my threads do not read them. Simple as that.

My question is what do you do when a session is not going good?
Sorry, but it is ...when a session is not going well. My mother (English teacher) would never let it slide and I take every opportunity to correct others.

As far as the question... Just take a second and regroup your thoughts. Camera settings or pretending you need to change batteries is a good way to get some time to yourself.

If the older child is getting in the way, it's either time to include the older one or ask the parents to take control.

Prep the parents before hand!!! Remind them to have the kids fed and well rested before they show up. Ask that they bring along something to keep the other kid busy while you are shooting the younger one. Two kids... Two parents! An ounce of prevention...

As far as the shots you posted goes, they look okay. You have a problem with chopping off body parts and composing the shot but that can all be fixed with a little reading, shooting, and posting for CC.

I have a shoot with a 7mo tomorrow evening and by the way the parents are talking, I have a BAD feeling about this one. I did all the prep I could do, the rest is up to God and the kid!

Thanks for your feedback ;) Good luck with the shoot tomorrow! Will you post some photos? I enjoy seeing others photos to see the way they "shoot".

Where your response came from I do not know, but I think my comment has been taken in the wrong light. My apologizes. I was being nice by saying they were amazing, and did so after what appeared to be a tempermental response from you.

I never wanted to bicker. I merely brought to attention the same finding as another reader had even experienced. Try not to highlight a chopped leg so much, but more importantly, learn how to accept appreciation for the work you do. If you cannot accept appreciation for your work, how in the world are you going to handle criticism? Simple as that.

Rain- protect your gear as well as you can and get on with the job
Shots your not happy with- Take loads, delete the rubbish shots/look for crops/PP. H

I am genuinely curious as to how the Pro's or those with experience handle things like rain...

I don't go out in the rain with my gear.

...or getting home to realize that you have no good shots or only a handful.

If I have no "good shots" I'd better know it before I get home. That's our job... to know exactly what's happening when we trip the shutter.

And a handful of shots is fine. If you yourself are happy with 4 or 5 from the session, then you did your job.

About the photos: I'm a bit surprised that I see a face in just one of the four.
The first one however is very cute! I wish he was sharper.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back