What do you do when the thrill is gone?

Smoke a joint.

Why are you pictures not turning out how you want? Perhaps it is something that could be helped by learning more/new post-production techniques?

When I'm in the field I have taken to not trusting my LCD screen, do you have a histogram and zoom function when reviewing pictures? I make sure that I have the shot I want before I move to the next location if possible. Also perhaps take one or two extra pics with differant angles/exposure/focus?

Whilst I do post-process my pictures, I try and get things as near as I can on-camera and have learnt to slow down and think of shots more when I am on location and make sure there isn;t something in the background of the shot I have to clone out later or move rubbish out of the way ect.

Oh talking about post-production, I have a very short attention span, so I try and only do a shot or two a night which gives me something to do after work when I'm too tired to get new shots too. :p

Why are you pictures not turning out how you want? Perhaps it is something that could be helped by learning more/new post-production techniques?

When I'm in the field I have taken to not trusting my LCD screen, do you have a histogram and zoom function when reviewing pictures? I make sure that I have the shot I want before I move to the next location if possible. Also perhaps take one or two extra pics with differant angles/exposure/focus?

Whilst I do post-process my pictures, I try and get things as near as I can on-camera and have learnt to slow down and think of shots more when I am on location and make sure there isn;t something in the background of the shot I have to clone out later or move rubbish out of the way ect.

Oh talking about post-production, I have a very short attention span, so I try and only do a shot or two a night which gives me something to do after work when I'm too tired to get new shots too. :p

I have a point-and-shoot. The viewfinder is an lcd screen also, and it doesn't work very well. Also, the main problems I have are the most common ones.

For example, there was (still is) this field FULL of daisies right by where I live. But when I got down to eye level with it (if flowers had eyes, that is), and took the shot, it didn't really capture the vastness of the field. It looked like a field with a few flowers in it, and a sky behind it. There was no flow or anything. Also my skies are almost always a washed-out white instead of blue, and it seems all the colors on my camera aren't as rich as they should be, no matter what the saturation levels are. Lastly, my photos look very pixely. When I view them at 100% on my monitor, you can see the individual dots, where it seems on most cameras that's not the case.

Lastly, my photos look very pixely. When I view them at 100% on my monitor, you can see the individual dots, where it seems on most cameras that's not the case.

(Not being argumentative.. just furthering the discussion)

Please tell me why viewing a photo at 100% is an indication that the digital photo is not a good one? If the destination print is a 20x30, yes.. I can understand (kinda.. viewing distance). But if the destination is intended to be 4x6 or 5x7 or in most cases even 8x10, you should be ok. Even if the destination is some online photo album, you can achieve that with a anemic 3 megapixel sensor.

Have you ever looked at a billboard up close?? some of them have pixels the size of quarters.

Falls under my previous post:

With the popularity of digital, I think there is a tendency to RUSH. We fire away the shutter like a machine gun. We process the photo in seconds (download it from the card). We spend a few minutes adjusting them in PS (in the past, I would spend ours in the darkroom just on ONE photo). We view them on the screen rather than print. Organizing is a click and drag. For me... that tendency makes it a little more difficult to enjoy the savor of photography.

Stop being judgmental on yourself or your camera. Find something to shoot and enjoy doing so.

Smoke a joint.

You know, in all seriousness, if you didn't have 6,000 posts here you probably would get blasted for leaving a nonsense, non-helpful comment.

You know, in all seriousness, if you didn't have 6,000 posts here you probably would get blasted for leaving a nonsense, non-helpful comment.

In all seriousness, that was a serious comment. Sometimes when I get creative-lock I smoke a little weed, relax and let things work out.

DARE told me that using drugs stunts ones curiosity. :p

Actually I think telling a person who suffers from depression to take a depressant is a little silly and overall ill adviced (percocet also!).

With the popularity of digital, I think there is a tendency to RUSH. We fire away the shutter like a machine gun.

I never rush... and 2500 pics in an afternoon is not too much. :lol: :lol:

Honestly, I agree. I love the fast pace that a wedding demands, but last weekend when I went to the botanical gardens, I just kinda easily fell into a sloth-like mode and almost savored each picture that I took. I just love those moments and really enjoy the process of envisioning the picture as I want it before I take the shot.

I plan to go there again soon later on in the summer once more of it is in bloom. That place is definately outside my comfort zone, but I'll love the challenge.

OK I see you post a lot of topics like this- my advice would be to stop overthinking everything. If you don't like your work, find out why and go out, reshoot, improve. I think you post a lot of think kind of down on yourself stuff, but I'd rather see you post something on how you changed your approach or did something proactive towards your photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back