What do you do while waiting for a photo?

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So you've gone on a photography trip, you're sitting there with the camera mounted and ready, and you're just waiting for the sun to reach a good position, or the lighting level to change, or the fat naked couple to leave.

Since this usually involves a few hours, what do you normally do at this time? Play Nintendo SP? Or explore another part of the place, hoping that you'll get back at the right time?

I usually just read a book, or eat some lunch.

Although to think about it, this would be a perfect time to get a girlfriend and make out. Hmm...

:oops: I have never really spent much time in a place waiting for the right moment... either I thought the right moment was there when I was there and ready, or I missed it. I may have missed MANY a good moment like this :blushing: ...

That girlfriend-idea would not work out well with me...

My longest was 8 hours (I wanted to catch afternoon light, then sunset, then early night).

Of course, I'm used to waiting for ages (school used to be almost 2 hours away), so I've always found stuff to do. Being a beginner at photography also helps, since I learn a lot by looking at how the light changes every hour of the day.

I think that's why my friends avoid me when I announce I'm bringing a camera :D

Bring a journal to write in and a chair to lounge in.
Wander around taking photos of other things besides your obvious target.
Do macro shots of things right by you and see how many different perspectives you can come up with without moving outside of a 3ft circle.
Bring a significant other and make out. This works especially well during long night time exposures. Even with a kitchen timer to remind you to close the shutter, you'd be suprised at how much film you can overexpose in the dead of night. :lmao:

actually... when I'm there alone... I move on a usually I miss a moment :p while I'm shooting with friend, we usually start a conversation AND we miss a moment too :)

Welllll.....

I live in the usa, when I was twenty five or so I saw a beautiful sunset picture and thought, heck I can do better. So I went to the beach about two hundred miles away, it is on the east coast of the usa. I found out too late that the sun has yet to set in the east. Im still waiting for that shot.

Every location provides multiple opportunities. While waiting for one to mature, photograph others.

I have a section of beach I've 'mined' for photographic gold for many hours. There's still more to photograph -- it's a matter of seeing the compositions. Try carrying a piece of cardboard with a cut-out of your favorite print dimensions: 2:3, 4:5. 6:6, etc. Use it as a frame around what you see. Don't be self-conscious about squatting to get a low-level view [or pop for an old twin lens reflex for a belly-button perspective.]

read

right now i'm reading "Introduction to Greek Religion"

nah, joking

i rarely ever spend a lot of time on a photograph, actually, click and go, click and go, and since i'm always in the city, if i need to wait awhile, i can just simply pack up, goto a cafe, sit around for an hour or two, go back when the sun starts shining (if it's within walking distance)

i shoot anything and everything.
i never wait for that one perfect moment.

i can fill a two gig card im a matter of minutes...
just for fun. :)

mysteryscribe said:
Welllll.....

I live in the usa, when I was twenty five or so I saw a beautiful sunset picture and thought, heck I can do better. So I went to the beach about two hundred miles away, it is on the east coast of the usa. I found out too late that the sun has yet to set in the east. Im still waiting for that shot.

:lmao:

that's hilarious...

I wait a lot but i think that's more of a landscape photographer thing... waiting for the sun to rise, waiting for the sun to get lower in the sky, waiting for the cloud to move in front of the sun, waiting for that stupid cloud to get out of my sunlight, waiting at a flower as still as possible for that hummingbird/butterfly to land on it just right...

i have done just about everything while waiting... eat, read my camera manual, fish, play fetch with the dog, make conversation if there is someone else around, i've done the make out thing too, or just sit and relax and take it all in... depending on how long i think i will have to wait i will leave my tripod in the perfect spot and go explore and find something else to shoot. or i may leave altogether and come back later...

Torus34 said:
Every location provides multiple opportunities. While waiting for one to mature, photograph others.

I have a section of beach I've 'mined' for photographic gold for many hours. There's still more to photograph -- it's a matter of seeing the compositions.

Well said!

We are surrounded by photographic opportunities whenever in the field. Your next great photograph may be right behind you!

keller said:
Although to think about it, this would be a perfect time to get a girlfriend and make out. Hmm...

Maybe I can wait with my boyfriend! :)

But in fact, I am not good at taking photos, so, I am the one who stay with him when waiting. And I am waiting for his photos. I need photos to make collage. Haha!

thats cool that you have that kind of patience, i dont know if i do. ive never waited around for the right light, ive always been out searching for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back