What do you do?

For the type of photos you are making, doing it in person is so much more valuable, in several ways, but mostly from a client service perspective.

Thanks BigMike, I think I am going to totally revamp how I present the images to clients and finished product. I like that flow much better. Now to find a client hosting site that will allow me to show proofs and ordering.
A lot of people seem to like Smugmug (Pro).
What I use is not a separate website, but an application that I had put right on my website. It's called Photocart. I like that it was a one time purchase and I don't pay any fees or commission on the photos I sell. On the other hand, I have to process the orders myself (send them to the lab, then send/deliver to the client).

Having an on-line selling option has it's pros & cons. On one hand, it's very convenient and opens your client base to a much wider audience (the client's family etc.)
On the other hand, letting the clients peruse the images at their leisure, isn't the best way to make a good sale. The most successful way to sell photos/prints is probably the method often called 'projecting', where you bring the clients to your studio (sales room) and project large images onto a screen (or use a big TV)...you make the sale right then & there while emotions are running high. It's a lot more involved than just putting images on-line, but I've read plenty of success stories where your sales go from $200 per client to $1000+ per client.

Lots too think about. I like the in person approach it seems more personal but some people just won't want to do that.

I remembered your Photocart application and checked it out. I have looked at SmugMug as well. More to chew on.

Most reactions

Back