What do you do???

Matt_Gill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So what do you do when its a horrid grey day outside, and to dark inside to take photos? But your realy craving to get that camera out, what do you do? Its one on thoes days hear today...

Turn the lights on, maybe throw a sheet over them to soften the light and then go close up on EVERYTHING!!! I have shots ranging from the floor boards to the light fittings. Not that they're any good but then that's more to do with my photography than anything else! Rain drops on windows can make good shots too...

Ok ill give that a go...although i cant go taking photos of crap, im using film.

Matt_Gill said:
So what do you do when its a horrid grey day outside, and to dark inside to take photos? But your realy craving to get that camera out, what do you do? Its one on thoes days hear today...

I clean my optics and look at other photographer's work. :thumbup:

You gotta be kidding me!

Hit the library. Study composition and lighting. And it's never too dark -- ever hear of a tripod and time exposures? Try still life set-ups. Portraiture. Make a pinhole camera.

But wait -- there's more. Consider developing film yourself. If B&W is of interest, learn Zone exposure. Review your recent prints and critique them. Plan a photo trip. Locate a nearby photo club.

And then, in your spare time . . .

Take landscapes but exclude the sky. Convert them to monochrome.
The flat light sometimes helps with monochrome pictures.
Shots like birds on the ground, waterfalls, waves on the beach. You don't necessarily want bright light and harsh shadows for that type of thing.

Low contrast lighting can be great for capturing scenes that would otherwise be hard to capture because of a wide range of tones. Get a tripod, an umbrella and get out there.

(let me know how it goes, it's raining here and I'll be inside watching movies) ;) :lol:

Hey tons of good stuff here guys! Thanks alot! Keep it coming im learning loads and everyone else is bound to be as well...

I either head over to my dad's and spend the day in the darkroom or go over my negs and start scanning some for my website and work on that.

Oh i like that idea for setting up flowers (Still life). Ive jsut been around our my house with the tripod, the suns jsut going down at the moment so the sun comes directley through the windows, it looks lovley!

Most reactions

Back