What do you guys think of this for an "all around" lens?

KC10Chief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=526240&is=USA

I've been lurking here and reading and am dead set on buying the Pentax K10D for my first DSLR. I have owned a couple of lower end film SLR's like a Pentax ZX-10 and a Minolta Maxxum 7. I'm going to go ahead and get the kit lens with the K10D as I've read it's a good lens and it's only $50 more at B&H. I'm also going to get the Pentax 50mm/f1.4 lens. But I want a good all around lens. I do a lot of traveling all over the world with my job, and want a good lens for anything I happen to see. I won't be able to carry a whole lot of stuff with me. I like to take pictures of people, nature, birds, etc. The lens I'm interested in is the Pentax SMCP-DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL (IF). I can't find much info about it as far as reviews go. It's $500. Do you guys think it's worth the $500? Anybody own one of these lenses or something similar? Thanks!
Matt

500 bucks, for a lens that is 6.3 at the long end? Naw...I dono man. You'd be fine outside during the day...but in less than ideal conditions you'll be scrounging for light.

yeah, unless the glass is really good, it seems like you could get something similar for a lot cheaper from someone like sigma or something.... i have that problem too though, sony charges an arm and a leg for their glass...

Bump! Any other thoughts on this lens? I found some reviews for the same lens, but they're the Nikon and Canon versions. Those lenses have the same exact specs as the one I'm interested in. Also, I found reviews for the Tamron version of this lens. All of the reviews were excellent. People seem to be pretty pleased with the lens for an all around lens. I realize that there is no perfect walk around lens, but this one sure looks pretty good for the price. I'd mostly use this lens outside in the daytime. I'd use my 50mm/f1.4 or the kit lens for inside stuff.

Any lens with that kind of range wil always sacrifice image quality for convenience so if that is your priority and you don't really care about the overall quality af your images get out your credit card. I have to agree with the others $50 is alot for a lens that slow. I don't know Pentax but it seems there has to be better lenses for that kind of money.

As mentioned earlier there are good lenses that cover the same range for less money (Sigma, Tamron), but it would be a very flexible lens if you decided to take just one with you. The kit lens along with the 50-135 would make for a very flexible combo if you could take two lenses wih you when you traveled.

my most flexible lens is a Nikkor 18-135 zoom. I love this thing for general taking one lens around lens. I (however) am saving up for a 17-55 2.8 for the obvious light readings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back