What do you guys Use?Suggest for bags

Rancor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me throw a list of gear at you, and you can tell me what bag would be fitting. (backpack, duffel bag, camera case, pro pelican case...etc)

(MUST CARRY) 1 body, 3 lenses, tripod, mounted flash, some flash cards, some spare SD's.

(OPTIONAL) 17" Alienware 17X Laptop & Power Brick

Also, what do you guys use for your gear? What are your preferred brands, if any.

+1

I have the LowePro Trekker AW 300 backpack, and it's great! It holds for me:
15in laptop + external hd + power stuff
60d body with with a lens on it
4 more lenses
2 speedlights + book of gels
2 light stands + 2 umbrellas
wired and wireless flash triggers
tripod
filters, adapters, step up rings etc
batteries, flash cards, chargers..
and a little room to spare!

I think you'll need the 400 series though for a 17in laptop, my 15 just makes into the 300.

I use the Lowepro Fastpack 350. It can accomodate a pro body camera with a long lens, 3 additional regular size lens, a flash, 2 spare memory cards, a bunch of filters and other stuff. It can also accommodate a 17" laptop

Click this link: Lowepro - Fastpack 350

It really depends upon the type of photography you do or are doing at the time. Backpacks and hard cases are great for traveling but not so great when you want quick access. Shoulder bags are good for quick access and the ability to pull your camera out on the fly. Wastepacks even better but definately conspicuous looking (at least to me). I prefer a good shoulder bag since it comprimises both extremes. A good strap (NOT THE ONE SUPPLIED WITH YOUR CAMERA) is also important. For bags I prefer Tenba or ThinkTank. For straps I like UpStrap. YMMV

I have a smaller Lowepro (CompuDaypack) that wouldn't fit everything you need to carry, but since a couple other people mentioned Lowepro I just wanted to add that I've been really really happy with the quality of it, and when I'm ready to upgrade to something bigger it will definitely be a Lowepro again.

It really depends upon the type of photography you do or are doing at the time. Backpacks and hard cases are great for traveling but not so great when you want quick access. Shoulder bags are good for quick access and the ability to pull your camera out on the fly. Wastepacks even better but definately conspicuous looking (at least to me). I prefer a good shoulder bag since it comprimises both extremes. A good strap (NOT THE ONE SUPPLIED WITH YOUR CAMERA) is also important. For bags I prefer Tenba or ThinkTank. For straps I like UpStrap. YMMV
Bingo!
The type & size of the bag you use...should be suited to your situation, just as much (or more) than to the gear you have.

I have something like 10 or 12 camera bags & cases. I choose the one that best suits the trip or shoot that I'm going on. I have a Lowepro Computrekker AW backpack. It would nicely hold your gear and laptop and is great for hiking, traveling etc. But like most backpacks, it's a pain to access quickly and is awkward to use if I don't have a place to set it down.

Diaper bags don't look like camera bags either. :er:

I usually takes more than one kind.

I have a couple different sizes of backpack, messenger bags, Pelican hard cases, duffles.

You don't want to be carrying a mounted flash unit in a bag or backpack, and I'd be real hesitant to do so with a hard case too.

Different choices of bags for different scenarios. Personally I found the Crumplers to be the best in terms of build and space. What I miss from the Crumpler 7 mil home is the ability to strap a monopod or tripod, but then again it doesn't look like a camera-bag which I love. For a laptop I use a Tumi laptop messenger bag which is amazing in terms of build quality, looks and ergonomics but they are quite pricey.

Personally I dont like mixing my computer gear with the camera gear so I keep it separately.
Also for my downhill mountain bike rides I shove everything in my sig less the tripods into an inexpensive sling-bag from Costco. They seem to have them in abundance and they are only 37$ and can take a beating which is exactly what I like.

Most reactions

Back