What do you put in your professional biography?

Bios are also influenced by your brand, your ID and the industry you are in.

If you put, I have my Masters from the Chicago Art Institute and I worked with Boeing's Chicago office.... and you shoot weddings.... no bride cares.

If you say'your heart jumps everything you see a couple kiss' in your bio, no Corporate event planner cares.

A bio is not really your bio. It is not a CV. it is an extension( not all, but some) of your brand identity and marketing.

My 2 cents

attributes: Kick ass dude

Depends on who your bio is directed toward.

If it is an academic institution, I would emphasize my academic credentials and perhaps my presentation work. If it is a television station, I would emphasize my production work and experience directing tv programs. If it is a media production house, I would go with my script writing, editing, and audio work. I would of course, also have a portfolio of my photographic work as well,....to put the icing on the cake, so-to-speak.;)

A bio is, in no small part, sales. You're selling yourself. Put down the pertinent stuff, and leave the fluff out.

I would put where I'm from, my level of experience; maybe some background on working with film, etc, some notable projects, and leave it at that. I might or might not mention my military service.

Nobody is going to care that I was born on July 16, 1962 in Queens, NY, or that I went to this high school or that grammar school. None of that is going to matter when someone's deciding to hire me unless, and this is the only scenarion I can think of, they share my birthday or I went to school with them. And, if those are the reasons they're hiring me, they're hiring me for the wrong reasons...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back