What do you think of my photos?

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! Just looking for some opinions on my photography.
What do you like about it?
What do you not like?
What do you think I should work on?
Please keep in mind I am only 17, and am self taught. Also the name is temporary, and as you are looking at my photos if there are any "keywords" that stick out to you, please let me know because I am trying to come up with a name with my future business. Thanks!

You can find some of my work here:
Maddie s Photography
Maddie s Photography - Locust Grove Georgia - Photographer Facebook

(Nikon D3000 - 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 55-200mm)

Attachments

• DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 365
Thanks for sharing Maddie. As I see them, one of these is your post production of the other. My suggestion would be to get a circle polarizing lens (CPL) for shots like this. The image itself is really busy,what is your main subject intended to be?

You seem to engage the subjects well and the photos show their personalities. I would think about the framing, some seem in just a little too close, I feel like I want to take a step back or be able to see more of the person.

I'd make sure you're noticing the backgrounds. Such as the secret garden photos, which are lovely. I would've made an adjustment in the one without the hat, whatever's behind her might have been better not directly behind her, or from a slightly different vantage point, to me it looks not quite straight and since I can't see what's back there it makes it just rather distracting.

I find too that some seem to be a little cluttered, such as the one with her feet in the air, when I can't quite make something out and/or it's cropped off, then it becomes what could be considered clutter or distractions.

The name is probably the least of what you'll need to figure out, but I think it mostly needs to be identifiable with you, that people see it and know - that's Maddie (or Madison, I like the idea of using your name, or Madison O if you don't want a long website name, or something along that line, some combination of name/initials).

American Society of Media Photographers or PPA might give you some idea what will be involved in a photography business. So far your portfolio to me shows potential.

Thanks for sharing Maddie. As I see them, one of these is your post production of the other. My suggestion would be to get a circle polarizing lens (CPL) for shots like this. The image itself is really busy,what is your main subject intended to be?
Yeah I see what you mean, Usually I have it cropped, since the far left is a bit fuzzy. And to answer your question, I'm really not sure here, I literally jumped out of the car for 30 seconds took the photo and jumped back in the car haha.

Atlanta based?

Senior wise you'll find it a pretty hard market to break into, as Cady Studios has all the high schools in the area virtually locked down, lifetouch does a couple of schools as well in the area. Technically kids don't have to go to Cady for their senior portraits, but 99.9% do (and yes, I mean that number very literally, typically an entire senior class will only have 2-3 kids who had somebody other than Cady do their senior portraits). Not to discourage you, but I just wanted to give you a feel for the market you're in.

As to your website/photos. Most are very good. You have a definite high key style. A few of your shots were too soft focus wise to make it to a website portfolio though (the little african american girl in the white dress, in particular, is really soft). A few times you could have *really* used a reflector or a bit more photoshop to get a little bit more light on their faces.

You have a nice natural style I like, though one thing you should be aware of is that the market in this area tends to prefer a bit more inside studio than you seem to do and a bit more heavy handed photoshop work than you seem to do on skin. I like your style better, but that's just what this market seems to like. That being said, you might be able to use that to set you apart. A few parents here and there don't like Cady's super processed style and if you can figure a way to get your images in front of those parents' faces, you could run a decent one person business. But it'll be a HUGE uphill challenge. It's really hard to beat out a company with full studios and exclusivity deals with most schools in the area.

Child photography is also kinda hard to break into in the area. Just not much of a market it for it here, and what there is is mostly handled by friend of a friend MWACs.

I like your portraits. You have a good style.

The above image that you attached could use a bit of work--that is, the edited version. The edited version shows a beautiful, colored sky, whereas the water is showing a blue sky being reflected. Also, lots of halos around the buildings and whatnot on the horizon.

You claim to be a natural light photographer, but why stop there? You should get into other types of lighting, as well. You clearly have the talent for it. That doesn't mean you CAN'T use natural light. Knowing how to use light will make you that much stronger.

Just a few notes about your website:
  • The categories need to be well defined. At first, I thought you only had two photos on your website. I didn't realize they were categories.
  • That said about categories, the sizing of the photos used as links should be similar in size. One is really long, one is really short.
  • The photos are way too big. You should try to size them down a bit. The portrait orientated photos won't fit on my computer screen. Have to scroll to view each image makes me lose interest.
  • I understand the clean-look of the website, but it looks just a tad sparse to me.
Also, using your name works just fine as a business name. Something like "Aperture Photography" or "Shutter Photos" is very cliche. Make a name for yourself by using your name.

I like your portraits. You have a good style.

The above image that you attached could use a bit of work--that is, the edited version. The edited version shows a beautiful, colored sky, whereas the water is showing a blue sky being reflected. Also, lots of halos around the buildings and whatnot on the horizon.

You claim to be a natural light photographer, but why stop there? You should get into other types of lighting, as well. You clearly have the talent for it. That doesn't mean you CAN'T use natural light. Knowing how to use light will make you that much stronger.

Just a few notes about your website:
  • The categories need to be well defined. At first, I thought you only had two photos on your website. I didn't realize they were categories.
  • That said about categories, the sizing of the photos used as links should be similar in size. One is really long, one is really short.
  • The photos are way too big. You should try to size them down a bit. The portrait orientated photos won't fit on my computer screen. Have to scroll to view each image makes me lose interest.
  • I understand the clean-look of the website, but it looks just a tad sparse to me.
Also, using your name works just fine as a business name. Something like "Aperture Photography" or "Shutter Photos" is very cliche. Make a name for yourself by using your name.
I am only a natural light photographer
until i can afford more equipment ;) trust me I really want some flash. And as for the website, when i first made it (a couple days ago..) it said the name of the category as you rolled over it. Its driving me crazy why it stopped doing that! And I agree on the size of the photos, I don't know how to change that either. I guess that's what you get when its a free website. Also I have more categories coming soon I just don't have that many of my other categories right now.

You've got talent with portraits!! I was nowhere near your commercial aptitude with photography at your age.

As for your attached images, neither strikes me as all that interesting.. It's a good edit you did but the image doesn't stand out all that much.

Most reactions

Back