what do you think of paparazzi??

chente922

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bring out the question because I think it's the worst way of using a camera, I understand celebrities are celebrities and some people just want to know everything about them but certainly we can't forget they're human beings too and stalking people all the time taking pictures of every of their movement is just plainly wrong... thank God these people have their known term and aren't called photographers...

what do you guys think?

I personally think the paparazzi is the scum of the earth but I think they get paid pretty well for their pictures and that seems to be the draw.

As far as celebrities go, when they make the decision to become an actor or person of fame they forego their privacy and turn into a public spectacle. It comes with the territory.

I personally think the paparazzi is the scum of the earth but I think they get paid pretty well for their pictures and that seems to be the draw.

nicely said... now that you mention money, that's the only reason someone would get on that job, thinking of that, I've heard of magazines that pay over $100K for a photo, and britney spears' first picture of her daughter with KF was sold for $300K...

I can't really add anything here. Yes, they are scum, yes, they can get paid well, and yes, they can get a car imprint in the middle of their face. And yes, when you become a public figure you give up much of your rights to privacy. Personally, I don't want to be that much of a public figure, or be a photographer with a 2008 Range Rover grill for bridgework.

personally, I would not be part of the ones that sell themselves for the money, it could make me rich, but then... i wouldn't sleep well

The problem doesn't just lie in the paparazzi. It lies in the people who buy the magazines that buy the pictures. Granted, there would still be people taking scandalous photos of celebrities either way, but it would be greatly reduced if there wasn't such a market. 'Mericans love their gossip, and they love it when people who "have all that" are taken down a notch.

personally i have no probelm with the papps. they do a job and get paid for it.

if you were walking down the street and saw britney drunk and in the gutter dont tell me you would not take her pic and sell it to the highest bidder

One of the things to remember as well is that at least in some cases, I'd be willing to bet these stars are not "captured" in these pictures so much as they are "arranged" to be in the right place at the right time.

I've heard folks on the radio who work for some of the magazines talk about how certain stars don't really go to any lengths at all, and sometimes tell folks where they will be, so they can be assured of having their pictures taken.

Good evidence of this is the fact that, how many pictures do you really see of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, who are big stars, compared to the number you see of Lindsay Lohan, and Brittany Spears.

The problem doesn't just lie in the paparazzi. It lies in the people who buy the magazines that buy the pictures. Granted, there would still be people taking scandalous photos of celebrities either way, but it would be greatly reduced if there wasn't such a market. 'Mericans love their gossip, and they love it when people who "have all that" are taken down a notch.

Well said. :thumbup:

Actually I never understood why people are interested in gossip and so-called 'celebrities'. If Britney Spears eats her kids' poo or not, or if Hugh Grant is seen with a cheap prostitute in his car, does not matter for this planet at all, nor does it matter for my personal life.

But many people seem to need to know this, maybe because their lives are boring, or they have nothing else to talk about. And they also want to see the pictures. If there is a market then there are people feeding it and selling.

I don't like the paparazzi but they are just like the rest of us... trying to make a living... a real good living.

and no... I don't buy gossip junk.. I barely watch TV

personally i have no probelm with the papps. they do a job and get paid for it.

if you were walking down the street and saw britney drunk and in the gutter dont tell me you would not take her pic and sell it to the highest bidder

I wouldn't. Really - I wouldn't.

I remember waiting outside of a venue in London for a band to turn up as I was shooting them in their dressing room. I ended up having to wait 45 minutes. Lots of people were milling around - fans, touts etc. One of the friends of a ticket tout (who might be classed at the same level as papps) started chatting to me after he saw me taking a few shots of the front of the venue. He used to be homeless - until somebody he knew offered him an opportunity to take a camera and get some pictures of celebrities. He grabbed the opportunity and started working as a papper - two years later he had bought his own flat (an impressive feat considering the ridiculous house prices here!). Didn't quiz him on his pghotographic knowledge but my guess is that he didn't need much. But I could hardly judge him as being bad for doing that. Still, I saw the photographers surrounding Britney Spears on the news today and I find the whole thing pretty distasteful.

I wouldn't want to be one of them and wouldn't take that picture because I know people who have been doorstepped by pappers and I want to work with them to create images on mututally agreed terms. I don't think I'd be able to do that if it was known I also sold images to scummy tabloids.

But for the homeless chap - fair enough from his point of view. It's the public apetite for it that really galls me.

I hear that the papp agencies typically hire disadvantaged folk, ex-cons, etc. I think collection agencies do the same. Those people always sound angry when they call.

I think it's disgusting how caught up Americans are with celebrities. And the celebrities that are always in the tabloids are the ones who are always doing stupid crap. Like Britney, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan etc. I think they are all setting absolutely horrible examples for young people. And it's sad that parents would let their children idolize somebody like that. I tell my kids every day that idolizing a celebrity is foolish. Live your own life and don't worry about what some idiots are doing to their lives. I certainly enjoy movies and music like anybody else, but I sure don't see why everybody is so caught up in the celebrities lives. I think Americans are too bored. They don't do anything with their lives, so they get caught up in somebody else's. How sad. If these celebrities that are always in the tabloids would stop doing drugs, getting DUI's, flashing their private parts in public, driving with babies on their laps etc, I'll bet the papps would get tired of it and stop following them around so much. Those kinds of things tend to attract attention, no matter who is doing it.

Just look at Paris Hilton, before she went to jail she was in magazines and on t.v. doing stupid and ridicolous things everyday. Ever since jail and she supposedly 'cleaned up', I don't remember seeing one bad degrading image of her. The clean Paris, actually looking good (and sober), quickly faded from the papp frenzy. Coincidence?

I don't know, I think if a tabloid or something offered me a lot of money for a good shot, I just might do it. I wouldn't stalk or wait outside someones house or anything, but if the opportunity arose, I think I would take the shot.
And I totally agree, if these girls would clean up their lives, (amazingly enough) like Paris, the tab's would get totally bored with them. It is so sad what these celebs do for attention. But I do think it is all for attention.
And you know what they say, bad publicity is still publicity, it gets people talking and gets the celebs name out there. If people stop talking about you then you know you have a problem.
So if it paid the bills, I would take the opportunity if it arose, but I wouldn't sneak around to just get the cheap shot.

Oh and Britney and K-fed have two boys... Not a girl. lol

Most reactions

Back