What do you think of the bokah on this shot?

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The green in the background is the alfalpha field about 15 yards back. One person had thought I used photoshop to replace the background. I would consider this a quite pleasing bokah for this image. What do you think? Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

Female Ruby Throated Humminbird
hummingbirds08031copy.jpg

Very nice capture. In my opinion, bokeh refers to the static out of focus area in a farther out background, not necessarily the out of focus area of the main subject. Your out of focus wings are due to the movement of the wings, and, again, IMO, do not qualify as bokeh.

Very nice capture. In my opinion, bokeh refers to the static out of focus area in a farther out background, not necessarily the out of focus area of the main subject. Your out of focus wings are due to the movement of the wings, and, again, IMO, do not qualify as bokeh.
I was refering to the background and not the outof focus or blurred wings. I understand what bokeh refers to. hence the question " what do you think of the bokeh?"

Hmm not to get drawn into a debate about the meaning of Bokeh - but I will take it as I think you mean it - and I have to say that you have done very very well in getting a bokeh like that! And yes many people will think this is a photoshop effort, but you will always know differnet ;)

Then what I meant is that there is no bokeh in your shot. It looks as if it was shot against a studio green backdrop. The meaning of bokeh is "out of focus details".

This is bokeh:

Dragonfly.jpg

Nice shot and, great bokeh. I can see the diffrence in greens in it from the upper part to the lower. Yours is just a way out of focus backround as, opposed to Phranqueys shot. Face it an alfalfa field doesnt have much definition. Again great shot.

I was refering to the background and not the outof focus or blurred wings. I understand what bokeh refers to. hence the question " what do you think of the bokeh?"
You have a thin depth of field and a completely neutral background with no light points, and hence no "bokeh" to even look at. Bokeh refers to the rendering of out of focus points of light, and your photo has none. Phranquey's does. :)

I have to agree with Phranquey and usayit with the samples they provided. I believe you panning (?) with this shot of yours. But regardless of bokeh or not you have nice bird shot.

Then what I meant is that there is no bokeh in your shot. It looks as if it was shot against a studio green backdrop. The meaning of bokeh is "out of focus details".

This is bokeh:

Dragonfly.jpg
Okay I see what you mean. I thought bokeh was an out of focus background that was pleasing to the eye and yet not distracting from the main subject. It I believe is a japanese term or word.

But isn't it a personal preference judgement?

You a little bit more each day.

Most reactions

Back