What do you think of the new Tamron 17-270 VR?

I've seen the ads, and read a favorable review in Popular Photography, and it seems like a nice lens.

Anybody familiar with this one? It sure seems like it would fit my needs if it's a decent lens.

I've had this lens in use for approximately 6 months. I can honestly say I got more than I expected from this lens. All super zooms have their drawbacks, however, unless your going to print your pictures poster size or larger I challenge even the most discriminating judge to pick out enough flaws to cause concern with the results. Even the larger posters etc taken at F11 to F16 I consider almost flawless.

Those that use this forum to compare the pictures they get using their prime lenses compared to any super zoom should reconsider what the original question was.....what do you think of?????, not , lets compare primes to super zooms. Why bother to comment at all if that is what your here to do.

Lets stick to the question and comment regarding same.

OP may already bought the lens and use it for awhile since he/she started this thread over 1 year ago. :)

I know that this is an old thread, but I have to say that I'm really unimpressed with the lens. Very fuzzy even at f/11 and f/16 and particualary f/22 and above. I've recently gone over to the sigma range, as long as you get the DG or DC they are much better. You can't really do a good print with this lens, however if all you want is a web gallery then go for it.

I have been thinking really hard on getting it for my only lens to carry on my travel D40x. I actually stopped in my local camera store. There were not at all interested in helping me. They didn't even mention they had the older lens in stock (saw it on the shelf). I was pretty turned off by them. When I said D40 I think they thought I was trying to find something really cheap. I actually had $600 cash on me ready to go. I asked them if they were going to get it. Their reply was only thing we can get is in the brochure (the Tamron leaflet on the counter). And I think at least 1 of the people there was the owner or at least a manager. Was really turned off by them.

BHPHOTO.com

I know that this is an old thread, but I have to say that I'm really unimpressed with the lens. Very fuzzy even at f/11 and f/16 and particualary f/22 and above. I've recently gone over to the sigma range, as long as you get the DG or DC they are much better. You can't really do a good print with this lens, however if all you want is a web gallery then go for it.

Call Sanford & Son, they may come haul that lens off for you

Fuzzy at f/22 and above? You don't say...

that describes just about any lens on the 135 format

It's a garbage lens, what do you expect for a 15x zoom range?

Most reactions

Back