What do you think of the Nikon 85mm f/1.8?

Derrel (and others), irrespective of the price difference or bang for buck factor, if you had the choice would you choose the 1.4 G over the 1.8 G. I know I will purchase a 85mm prime and haggling over the choice. Yes the 1.9\8 represent better value but given its a long term investment, down the road I dont want to be wishing I had spent the money to purchase the 1.4.

When the 85mm f/1.4 G was introduced, I looked at a number of tests of it, and I thought the bokeh characteristic and drawing style of the lens were inferior to the older 85mm f/1.4 AF-D. Again...I did not like the "look" of the 1.4 G model, compared to what I was shooting four years ago.

I bought the 85 1.8 G as a high-detail "landscape lens" for my D3x. I wanted a lens that was very sharp, very high resolution, and with a very even performance across the frame, and I knew the 1.8-G would deliver those characteristics. And, at a low price. So, no, *I* would not choose the 1.4 G over the 1.8 G...I'm already set with a 1.4 portraiture lens that I like a lot...but which is not an "even" performer at wider f/stops.

I do not think lenses are a really good investment. The 1.8 and 1.4 G series lenses are pretty close in performance, I think. Both are pretty "clinical".

The 85 1.8G is phenomenal. I've played with several different 85's from a few different companies, and I think this is my favorite in terms of overall IQ (sharp from wide open all the until you get limited by diffraction) and usability. It's light, AF is very fast and it's even got the little weather gasket on the back. The images that come off of it are nice and contrasty, nice micro-contrast, really nothing to complain about.

I took a few images this morning of some puppies we are hoping to help adopt out. These images are obviously processed in Lightroom, and actually had the contrast pulled back a bit in some cases:

epandrsn

A little clarity is added in a few, and sharpening on two or three. But, it's quite a good lens. I apologize for the shameless blog plug, but it's just the best way to display images.

I like it. :)

20130706035436-_nik0437.jpg

The 85 1.8G is phenomenal. I've played with several different 85's from a few different companies, and I think this is my favorite in terms of overall IQ (sharp from wide open all the until you get limited by diffraction) and usability. It's light, AF is very fast and it's even got the little weather gasket on the back. The images that come off of it are nice and contrasty, nice micro-contrast, really nothing to complain about.

I took a few images this morning of some puppies we are hoping to help adopt out. These images are obviously processed in Lightroom, and actually had the contrast pulled back a bit in some cases:

epandrsn

A little clarity is added in a few, and sharpening on two or three. But, it's quite a good lens. I apologize for the shameless blog plug, but it's just the best way to display images.

I believe it, I had a chance to shoot mine today... and I instantly fell in love. My favorite part is the perfectly dampened focus ring... So far all my autofocus lens rings have been janky.

Its too bad you're in Puerto Rico. We have been looking for a puppy for the girls.

I've shot with the G from friends and absolutely love it. A short while back they went down to $399 new but unfortunately at the time I had some other expenses and didn't pull the trigger and kicking myself in the butt for it. So here am I now waiting for the price drop again but it doesn't seem in sight ... good luck with yours as I'm sure it will serve you well.

I got mine for $400 it wasn't perfect, some of the gold lettering is fading... But the glass is great.

...My ex-friend hit it with a frisbee today so there is now a white mark... But thats about it!

^^^ That's why you should always, always use the lens hood.

Congratz on the new lens. For $400, I'm guessing it was the f/1.8 version. Although I would love to have an f/1.4 for obvious reasons, I much prefer the smaller size of the f/1.8.

Happy shooting and remember to post some examples soon.

In my experience I quite often need flexibility in the focal length when it comes to telephoto, so I went for the new AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR for my D600 instead.

I dont really need more than f/4 for portraiture on a 36x24mm full frame small format sensor. That would result in these weird pictures where people have one eye in focus and the other one is out of focus.

P.s.: Oh, and if I wanted a dedicated portrait lens, the AF 135mm f2 DC from Nikon would be my prime suspect.

^^^ That's why you should always, always use the lens hood.

Congratz on the new lens. For $400, I'm guessing it was the f/1.8 version. Although I would love to have an f/1.4 for obvious reasons, I much prefer the smaller size of the f/1.8.

Happy shooting and remember to post some examples soon.

It unfortunately hit the body of the lens, I went through and checked to make sure nothing was hit loose. It still works amazingly, I didn't have to fine tune it which was a plus. I posted a few pictures in my latest thread from the zoo. Its a fantastic lens for sure.

In my experience I quite often need flexibility in the focal length when it comes to telephoto, so I went for the new AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR for my D600 instead.

I dont really need more than f/4 for portraiture on a 36x24mm full frame small format sensor. That would result in these weird pictures where people have one eye in focus and the other one is out of focus.

P.s.: Oh, and if I wanted a dedicated portrait lens, the AF 135mm f2 DC from Nikon would be my prime suspect.

If I had the cash I would have gone for its older brother the 70-200 F/2.8 VRII :drool:
The 135mm is nice but a little long on my DX

It's personally my favorite lens. D version.

Fast focusing, sharps as nails, accurate color, great subject isolation.

Most reactions

Back