What do you think of the Nikon 85mm f/1.8?

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just scored an 85mm f/1.8G for $400 even on eBay. I felt good about it... eBay bidding is always so exhilarating for me, until after I pay. But I think I'll feel better when its in my hands.

I know this is a pretty well regarded lens as far as consumers/prosumers go. But I'm curious as to what my fellow TPF'ers thought of the lens, I've shot 100mm and a 105mm and I dig the focal length but those were both manual lenses.

Maybe someone somewhere over the could post a few of your favorite 85mm photos for me?

THANK YOU! :heart:

Last edited:
Is it the 85mm 1.8d?

If so, I asbolutley LOVE that lens.

It's my favorite lens in my kit, and it hardly ever leaves my d7000 now.

My most recent thread in "people photography" with 4 portraits, they were all shot using the 85mm 1.8d

Is it the 85mm 1.8d?

My most recent thread in "people photography" with 4 portraits, they were all shot using the 85mm 1.8d

Aw no its a G lens. I'll go check that out now though!

Is it the 85mm 1.8d?

I believe the optics are almost exactly the same on the G version. Its just an updated lens body, & missing the aperture ring.

Is it the 85mm 1.8d?

I believe the optics are almost exactly the same on the G version. Its just an updated lens body, & missing the aperture ring.

I wasn't overly impressed with my 35mm 1.8G I've sent it back to Nikon once already for a super squeaky AF, I also felt that I was fine tuning it more than I should have to... I hope this 85mm G is a complete opposite case!

I wasn't overly impressed with my 35mm 1.8G I've sent it back to Nikon once already for a super squeaky AF, I also felt that I was fine tuning it more than I should have to... I hope this 85mm G is a complete opposite case!

I had to fine tune my 35mm 1.8g on my D7000, i've not had to touch the fine tune for the 85mm (but that is the D version)

I had to fine tune my 35mm 1.8g on my D7000, i've not had to touch the fine tune for the 85mm (but that is the D version)

Nonetheless good to know, I'm glad I wasn't the only one

I've got the D version. Great lens. Good build quality, nice size, great color rendition and pleasing bokeh. Works well on DX and FX format cameras. Hope the G version serves you well.

kundalini said:
I've got the D version. Great lens. Good build quality, nice size, great color rendition and pleasing bokeh. Works well on DX and FX format cameras. Hope the G version serves you well.

Thats good to hear. I hope it does too, I'm beginning to feel left out with the G unit. Should be here Wednesday. I guess I'll update with some pictures

The G is a different optical formula from the D. It is generally sharper and more contrasty, particularly wide open. It's a great lens, like most of Nikon's 85 mm lenses. I've had more 85 mm Nikkors than any other focal length and the 1.8G is a favourite - shame it has no aperture ring.

I've owned two 85/2 Ai; one 85/2 Ai-S; one 85 1.4 Ai-S; the 85 1.4 AF-D, one 85/1.8 AF-D, and now the 85 1.8 G over the past 30 years...so, I guess like Helen, 85mm (or maybe 50???) is the Nikon lens I've had the most individual models and samples of. I like the defocus character and high central sharpness + kinda softer edges of the 1.4 AF-D for portraits, but for landscapes and high-detail stuff, the new 1.8 G is, simply put, easily the best 85mm lens I've owned. It's a remarkably good lens, with optics that seem to me to be well,well above the expected level considering the price.

I don't have any scientific testing equipment, but DxO Mark does; they have a set of 72 F-mount lenses, and they've tested the same,exact lenses on the D600 and D800...the two 85mm's in the G-series from Nikon, and the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 are the three highest-resolving lenses in their test set of lenses.

I am surprised that the 1.8 and 1.4 G models are so,so close in performance.

Derrel (and others), irrespective of the price difference or bang for buck factor, if you had the choice would you choose the 1.4 G over the 1.8 G. I know I will purchase a 85mm prime and haggling over the choice. Yes the 1.9\8 represent better value but given its a long term investment, down the road I dont want to be wishing I had spent the money to purchase the 1.4.

I've owned two 85/2 Ai; one 85/2 Ai-S; one 85 1.4 Ai-S; the 85 1.4 AF-D, one 85/1.8 AF-D, and now the 85 1.8 G over the past 30 years...so, I guess like Helen, 85mm (or maybe 50???) is the Nikon lens I've had the most individual models and samples of. I like the defocus character and high central sharpness + kinda softer edges of the 1.4 AF-D for portraits, but for landscapes and high-detail stuff, the new 1.8 G is, simply put, easily the best 85mm lens I've owned. It's a remarkably good lens, with optics that seem to me to be well,well above the expected level considering the price.

I don't have any scientific testing equipment, but DxO Mark does; they have a set of 72 F-mount lenses, and they've tested the same,exact lenses on the D600 and D800...the two 85mm's in the G-series from Nikon, and the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 are the three highest-resolving lenses in their test set of lenses.

I am surprised that the 1.8 and 1.4 G models are so,so close in performance.

Thank you for the real-life experience Helen (and Derrel) ! I am completely stoked to receive this lens, I will wait patiently at the door for its arrival for the next 34 hours.
I guess I should check out DxO Mark more often... But From the looks of it I need to upgrade my body to take full advantage of this lens :D

I also picked up a 50mm F/1.4 AiS just to do a personal comparison against my F/1.8

I love these lenses and this is what I intend on making my next purchase. Congrats on getting it, Im jealous

You simply cannot go wrong with any Nikkor 85mm lens. I've not tried the 'G' versions (I love my 1.4 D) but by all accounts it's even better, and I have to tell you, I think the 'D' glass is pretty damn fine. I'd say you got a good score!

Most reactions

Back